Career

How the Office Siren Trend is Helping College Students who are Heading Into the Workforce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It seems like everyday we have a new trend or aesthetic to follow; it’s honestly so exhausting, but when I saw the office Siren trend circling around the internet, I knew it could be useful for students in college. Think about it, by the time we are sophomores we need to start looking for internships, going to job interviews, and start attending career fairs.

I personally have run into the problem of not knowing how to dress professionally for business settings. My closet, like those of most college teens, is filled with crop tops, baggy jeans, and questionable impulse buys. The trends like Office Siren and Sexy Librarian display basic office outfits that would be a hit with any employer, but it also has that flair of personality to keep it interesting. 

For those who aren’t familiar with the Office Siren trend, think Giselle Bündchen’s character from The Devil Wears Prada, Jessica Alba as Sue Storm in Fantastic Four, and/or Prada in the 90’s.

Pinterest, Youtube and of course Tiktok have a lot of inspiration. You may see a lot of the people in inspo pics wearing a specific type of glasses. On Tiktok these are referred to as Bayonetta glasses. Bayonetta is a video game player who wears rectangle frame glasses as well as muted makeup, which makes her a part of the trend as well. You can often find celebrities such as Bella Hadid wearing them. This seems like a major plus for those who actually need to wear glasses (it’s like the hipster trend all over again.)

@kamgregory

office siren? corporate core?? IDK but i’m INTO ITTT👏🏾😭 what do we think? ib @Sacheu #officesiren #bayonetta #makeuptutorial #makeuptips #grwm Products⬇️ @Anastasia Beverly Hills brow freeze @NYX Professional Makeup color correcting stick @Fenty Beauty hydrating concealer @e.l.f. Cosmetics halo glow contour @makeupbymario cream blush “berry punch” @Laura Mercier translucent ultra blur powder @@Kaleidos Makeup eyeshadow @Hourglass Cosmetics eyeliner pencil

♬ original sound – kamille <3

Speaking of makeup, the makeup for this trend consists of muted colors, dark nudes, frosted eyeshadow, and the occasional berry lip to give that sultry, dark feminine look that the mythical sirens are described to have.

Referencing back to my main point, this trend really did help me figure out what to look for when shopping for business attire, feel less frumpy, and more confident. I started looking for quality form fitting suit sets, basic color button downs and, thanks to the summers I spent waitressing, I was able to use my black slacks to complete the look. I was able to look at Pinterest to help me decide on the accessories for my outfits, such as a cardigan or a simplistic necklace. As for the hair, we see a lot of slick and sleek updos as well as some laid back hairstyles.

how to set boundaries at work?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
20th Century Fox

This trend seems to pull from a lot of iconic office looks we saw from our favorite 2000’s Characters, which can also help to inspire your outfit choices for next week’s meeting at work.

There are now countless look book videos and makeup tutorials based on the trend. The office siren is definitely a trend that we can learn from to help us find our signature look for the office.

Kelsey is a pop culture, style and life writer for Her Campus. She covers multiple topics pertaining to current events in culture such as celebrity news and trends as well as lifestyle trends that are constantly trending online on Tiktok, Instagram, and Twitter. She hopes to be a writer for a fashion magazine eventually or a bestselling author. Culture is her main topic of choice because Kelsey Loves to stay current on all the latest trends. Kelsey is currently a senior at the Florida International University working towards her Bachelor's degree in communication focusing on the Organizational Communication track. In her free time Kelsey likes to spend endless hours on Pinterest creating the perfect mood boards for all of the different scenarios she creates in her head, Go thrift shopping based off of her everchanging wardrobe and personal style, hang out with friends and family, going to the movies theaters to watch the latest blockbuster, Spend her money at Tjmaxx, and watch her favorite guilty pleasure reality tv shows The Bachelorette and The Bachelor she may hate to admit that she watches it, but ask her who got sent home last week and she'll answer you before you even finish asking her.