How to Pig Out but Keep it Classy This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Oh the holidays… Besides the festive ambience and cute outfits, most  look forward to and ultimately aim to do one thing: eat and do it well. Of course one looks to accomplish this soul satisfying amazingly amazing action all the while looking good and keeping it classy. We want to pig out, but you know, look and feel decent while doing so. Well…here’s how

Take it slow. Eat a little at a time. It’s easy to feast with the eyes. Make sure to serve yourself realistically what you would actually eat. Then if you could fit a little more food, serve yourself some more. And go on like that. There’s no shame in getting up for seconds. Or thirds….or fourths. Those are actually compliments to the family members that cooked the food. It’s a show of: Hey, you did well. The stuffing is great. But, you don’t want any wasted food either. Remember, you need those leftovers for the next day’s turkey sandwiches. 

Wear what you’re comfortable in. It’s easy to want to wear that beautiful burgundy, skin tight dress then come to wear it, eat, and then show off a little belly afterwards. Hey, but if that’s what you’re comfortable in…by all means. Wear what you feel you look best in while keeping in mind that a food baby is on the way. If you don’t feel confident wearing something more fitted, don’t be afraid to wear a loose shift dress or a cute sweater that’s going to hide that food baby. If you’ve been blessed with a stomach that barely bloats, wear that tight dress girl! So long that you feel confident and beautiful in whatever you put on, that’s what ultimately matters. 

Timing is crucial. If you need a little help controlling yourself Thanksgiving day, eat a small meal or a few snacks a few hours before so that you won’t go that crazy at the dinner table. However if you came to eat (and I mean eat) avoid heavy meals and large snacks a few hours before so that when you get to the dinner table you can really indulge and enjoy those mashed potatoes, corn, and pumpkin pie. Just remember, take it slow.

Eat and feast well everyone! Food and family are beautiful things. Happy Thanksgiving and happy feasting!

– Kat De Jesus

Photo