This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Happy and Healthy Ways to Begin 2019

It’s that time of year where Christmas music is playing anywhere and everywhere you go, everyone is getting into the holiday spirit, and new year resolutions are in the making. Since 2019 is up and coming, it’s essential to start this new year off in a good note. Here are some ways to ease into 2019 in a happy and healthy way.

Prioritize yourself

Often times, it’s really easy to find yourself in a place of doubt and negativity. Essentially, it’s our mindset that allows us to feel this way. This year, it’s time to switch that all around–the ultimate goal is to find happiness in ourselves, in what we do, and in others. Allow this year to be the year to leave all the negativity behind and indulge yourself into your passions, push yourself to achieve your goals, desires, and ambitions, get that internship, degree, become your hype-man/cheerleader, and prioritize yourself and your studies– become the person you’ve always imagined yourself to be.

Understand there are things you CAN and CAN’T control

This past year, there have been many things that seem out of our control–and quite frankly, it can be a bit aggravating. But with all the things that are uncontrollable, there are many aspects in our lives that we CAN control. Your thoughts and perspectives, how kind you are to others, how you save and spend your money, your attitude, who your friends are–there are countless things that one can control in their lives. It’s important to take initiative to understand as we are beginning a new year with many unknowns, that life is unpredictable, but it’s our perspective and attitude that can make the most out of every situation. Honestly, if things just don’t go your way, as Ariana said,”thank u, next.”

Start journaling

If you haven’t started journaling, I 100% recommend you start. This is a good habit to incorporate as we begin a new year. Journaling allows oneself to dig deep into their thoughts, emotions, and connect with oneself, essentially. The best thing about journaling is it’s a place where you are free to write whatever you desire–from writing about your day, how you’re feeling, to maybe getting journal prompts on pinterest for inspo–it’s really a place where you can be in touch with your emotions.

Leave the bad in 2018 & focus on the good

2018 has been a crazy year–I mean, it has been a whirlwind of emotions, it’s safe to say. This year definitely had its highs and lows, gains and losses, and good and bad times. But, with everything that happens in life–a lesson comes along with it. As we begin a new year, take all the bad and leave it in 2018, take all the lessons and keep it with you, and create a positive mentality that’ll stick with you as we begin a new chapter in our lives. Focus on all the good things– the blessings this year has brought and next year will bring, the ability to have a clean slate and work on becoming the best version of yourself, and fixate all good and happy things.

Luisa is a freshman at Florida International University majoring in Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications. Not only does she love to write, but she enjoys a good aesthetic. She loves to travel, find cute spots in Miami (or elsewhere), take photos wherever she goes, and especially being Colombian, she loves to have her daily dose of coffee!