This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

One of the most uncomfortable things that can happen to you in college is getting stress acne! I know there are a lot of people who may find this to be a superficial problem. However, if at the end of a tough day you notice you have 5 new zits who moved into your face rent free, it can make your day go from bad to worse. 

Even friends of mine who had perfect skin all throughout college ended up finding themselves with an infestation of acne and had no clue how to get rid of it. The worst part about having stress acne is that the more you stress about getting rid of it, the more acne you get! 

It almost feels like you’re going to never get rid of it, but TRUST ME. As someone who suffered with acne throughout high school and my first two years of college, it does get better! Here are 4 unconventional things I did to get rid of stress acne!

Drink Water

I’m not going to try to sound like your mom, but water is SO important! Being hydrated throughout the day will allow you to flush out all the terrible toxins that are causing you to break out. It will also give your skin a very healthy inner glow and softness that make up could never give you!

Exercise/Go to a Sauna

Just how water will allow you to flush out all the toxins in your body, exercising or going in a sauna will help do the same! Exercising is great for the mind, soul, and body! It’s necessary for everyone and can help in more ways than one. Overwhelmed with school duties during my freshman year of college, I began looking for stress-relieving outlets and discovered the beauty of yoga! While it was a great way for me to unwind after a tough day of classes, in time I noticed my skin began to improve in ways I didn’t think could be possible anymore! Look into the activities your university has to offer and get moving!

Journal Writing

While journal writing may not tackle your acne problems head on, it will definitely help in reducing your acne by minimizing your stress levels. While skin care regimens are great, they only fix the surface issues. However, if you try to fix your acne by improving yourself within (mentally + physically), I guarantee you will see a change in your skin just like I did. School can really get on your nerves at times, not to mention the drama of a college students life. Keeping a journal will help you put all the negativity and toxic energy on paper; resulting in less stress. 

Jojoba Oil

People often rave about the versatility of coconut oil, but no one ever talks about Jojoba oil! Have you ever heard about it? It’s almost like all these skin care gurus want to hide the magic of this product. This oil is the only one in the world that can break down the bacteria in your skin that causes acne. As soon as I heard of it, I knew I had to try it out. To this day, it’s the only acne product I use now!

Acne can be quite annoying but don’t let it ruin your life! The more you stress about your acne, the more acne you will get! Remember, what worked for me may not be beneficial to your skin’s acne. You should see a dermatologist if you have any questions or concerns. Which tips will you be using to help your stress acne?

Natalia Pineiro is a blogger, social media manager, and college student at Florida International University. Born and raised in Miami, Natalia has always adored how she was able to make longlasting friendships and connections with people from all over the world. South Florida is an extremely culturally diverse environment that makes it one of the most unique places in the world and Natalia couldn't be more proud of it. The passion she has for meeting people of different cultures has pushed her to travel to many destinations to explore new languages, food, and more! She loves sharing her experiences through blog posts, video editing, photography, and more!