Fox’s New Show “Call Me Kat” Introduces a New Feminist Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Fox’s new sitcom “Call Me Kat” introduces a character that fights for the normalization of natural beauty. For the first time in television since “Sex and The City”,  we have a main character who is single and totally embracing it! The show revolves around Kat, a single 39-year-old woman who quit her boring job as a math teacher to open up her own cat cafe. Instead of being bitter that she is single, Kat celebrates the beauty in life by maintaining deep and meaningful relationships with her friends and family that complete her fulfilling life. Another great thing about this show is that Kat has social anxiety and expresses it in a relatable way that helps viewers feel connected to her. She talks directly into the camera informing her viewers of all her anxious thoughts and this is a great way to represent the mental health community by representing anxiety in a realistic yet positive light. 

cat lying in bed Bed
Photo by Gaelle Marcel from Unsplash

Mayim Bialik has given us a new feminist role model to root for on television. Her character wears little to no makeup, prioritizes comfort over fashion, and embraces the single life as a new era of liberation. Kat is quirky and weird, but in the best way possible; she’s single at 39 and loving every minute of it! This show is guaranteed to put a smile on your face, not to mention the amount of cuddly cats on the show is adorable and gives off such a cozy feeling. It’s about time that we see more realistic-looking women on television that tears down the typical Hollywood beauty standards that so many of us try to look like. Call Me Kat airs on Fox, Thursdays at 9/8c and streaming is available on Hulu the next day.

Gabriela Gutierrez-Gallo is a senior at Florida International University, majoring in journalism with a minor in social media and e-marketing. Her true love is New York City and her interests include home decor, film and television history, traveling, and skincare.