jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

FIU Football Players Shot in Drive-By Shooting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Two FIU football players were shot in an off-campus drive-by shooting on Thursday afternoon, according to Opa-Locka Police Chief James Dobson. Running back Anthony James and offensive lineman Mershawn Miller were standing outside a friend’s house when approximately 15 rounds were fired from a hand gun.

The two Panthers were airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital after suffering non-life-threatening injuries. Miller was struck in the arm and arrived in stable condition, being released from the hospital overnight. Still said to be in critical condition, Jones remains in the Ryder Trauma Center, after suffering a wound to the face and back. 

Opa-locka police are looking for the suspected vehicle, a gray Nissan Sentra with no tag. Motive for the shooting is still under investigation, however, the victims are not suspected to be the intended target. Mershawn’s father, Emerson Miller, told reporters his son was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Families of both victims are grateful they are conscious and get to see another day. FIU released a statement immediately after the shooting 

“Dear members of the university community,

We have learned that two of our student-athletes were shot during an off-campus incident this afternoon.

Information on their condition was not immediately available. Opa-locka Police is investigating.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the students and their families.”

Friends and family send their love and support in hopes that they return to full health soon.