This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

FALL IS OFFICIALLY HERE! That means it’s time for pumpkin spice everything, cozy sweaters, and those boots you wait all year long to wear. Now, living in Florida you may be thinking, “Who cares if it’s fall, it’s still 100 degrees outside?” or “It still feels like summer.” But if you’re anything like me, you love fall and are determined to get into the spirit of it. Here a couple of tips on how to do so!

Fall in FL Tip #1: 

Visit local pumpkin patches! 

(Coral Gables/Miami Lakes) source & source

Visiting a local (or a not so local) pumpkin patch is a definite fall must do! Seeing not only pumpkins but also the festive colors around; oranges, browns, yellows, and reds you’re sure to start feeling the season. Most people think pumpkin patches are just for little kids (while it is a great place for cute Halloween pictures!), don’t be fooled! This is a great activity for all ages and here’s why: (some) pumpkin patches will host festivals with carnival rides, food trucks, concerts, and photo-booths (all perfect opportunities to get a few pictures for Instagram!). Visiting places that have hay rides or going to a Haunted House are also great ways of getting into the spirit!

Fall in FL Tip #2

Dress for fall whenever you get the chance!

Without over doing it, incorporate fall into your daily wardrobe when it suits your outfit! For instance, wearing a simple t-shirt? Throw on a scarf on your way out, it’s usually cooler at night and this small step will go a long way. You can also add a dash of fall when doing your make-up; try nudes, browns, and plum tones for lipstick! Last but certainly not least, don’t forget about your favorite pair of boots! If your favorite pair just so happens to be knee-length boots, I would wait until November/December to wear these just because Florida is usually still warm before this time. You can always wear (any length) boots with a simple long sleeve dress and a sweater & jeans.

Fall in FL Tip #3

If Florida isn’t giving you Fall: make Fall happen!

This is one of the easiest ways of making it feel like fall. Host a girl’s night at your or a friend’s house, put on the oh, so famous “Hocus Pocus” and bake some fall themed treats! Cookies, pies, brownies anything you and your friends want! You can also create a fall feel when it’s just “me time” by lighting a sweet smelling candle and ordering your favorite drink from Starbucks (hopefully, a Pumpkin Spice Latte or a Maple Pecan Latte!)

Fall in FL Tip #4

Mickey’s Not So Spooky Halloween Party!

What’s better than fall? What’s better than Disney World? Disney and fall in one! Mickey’s Not So Spooky Halloween Party is perfect for a fun fall get away. With Halloween decorations all over the park, Disney gives a little twist that’s friendly to all ages. 

Fall in FL Tip #5

Family Time!

With fall comes the holidays! Thanksgiving, specifically, gives us the opportunity to gather with loved ones and to give thanks for all that we’ve been blessed with. This is the perfect time to try out old family recipes, catch up with family members you haven’t seen or spoken to in a while, and watch some football & of course the parades! After all, what’s Thanksgiving with out the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade? But don’t wait until Thanksgiving to be grateful or to show love to those you care for; remind them whenever you get the chance!

cover photo source

2017 FIU Her Campus president