Euphoria: The HBO Show Reflecting the True Lives of Our Generation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Euphoria. A state of ecstasy or a powerful spark of bliss. Euphoria is also a new HBO show that has become a phenomenal sensation that portrays and depicts the struggles that our generation is commonly facing on a day to day basis. The show was released in mid-June of 2019, starring singer/actress Zendaya, who plays a young teen named Rue and her direct struggles with drug abuse, anxiety, and depression. In today’s generation, we often fail to see what really happens behind the scenes of young people’s daily lives and Euphoria correlates this towards today’s brutal society.

(Euphoria, 2019 from HBO)

Another main character in the show is, Jules, played by LGBTQ+ activist Hunter Schafer. Euphoria shines a light on the LGBTQ+ community with a new face of representation for the transgender community. The connection between Rue and Jules is unlike any other, and we begin to see how being in love today has become much more complicated than it should be. The show ultimately focuses on the lives of several millennials and how their hardships, inadequacies, and choices impact them. Euphoria is something new and fresh. Unlike any other shows we have seen before.

Many of the topics that are discussed on the show would not be uncomfortable to talk about– they are the honest and contains real truth. We must look at it like this: drug abuse has become a new norm, dating culture is spiraling downwards, domestic violence cases are continuously being covered up/unjust and depression has become some sort of idolized trait.

(Euphoria, 2019 from HBO)

EUPHORIA ON THE STRUGGLE OF LOVING OTHERS

The show takes a unique turn by not only talking about these issues, but showing the raw and true tragic reality that millennials are continuously encountering. In addition to focusing primarily on love culture in today’s generation, we can see throughout the first season how the expression of love, affection, and admitting to one’s true feelings about another has become such a difficult action to take.

The “we-aren’t-dating-we’re-just-hooking-up” culture is at its peak and it’s become nearly a domino effect—hurt people are hurting people and Euphoria emphasizes this throughout the entire show. It has become a norm to be in the “just talking” stage and it has become harder and harder to tell people how we really feel without the fear of getting hurt.

EUPHORIA ON THE STRUGGLE OF LOVING ONES SELF

Zendaya’s character, Rue, stresses on the darkness that lies within drugs, depression, and anxiety. Mental illnesses should not be taken lightly, and we cannot keep ignoring the fact that so many young people are feeling so alone in this world. You can be surrounded by people who tell you how much they love you every day. Even those who mean the most to you, but that does not always stop the feeling of nothingness from getting worse.

Many other important characters in the show have their own battles that they are facing, and by each episode unleashing their stories’ you can see how and where these emotions are deprived from. Ultimately, Euphoria shows how depression and anxiety can alter one’s entire life, and there’s no specific way to just “get over it.” There are people who in this world who have to live with themselves, and are dealing with their own internal battles while facing cruel realities that this world has placed upon their shoulders.  

“The absolute worst part of depression is that even though you know you’re depressed, you’re unable to stop yourself from getting worse.” – Rue, Euphoria 2019 on HBO

(Euphoria, 2019 from HBO)

*TW: The show’s following content may contain sensitive material involving: drug abuse, domestic violence, sexual harassment, and depression.

Hi! My name is Sherneice Robin and I am currently a senior at Florida International University and I'm a part of the FIU Her Campus Staff Team! I'm pursuing a degree in PRAAC (Public Relations, Advertising, & Applied Communications) with an area of concentration in Business Communication. My passion in life has always been towards writing and I strive to inspire others with my words. Find your purpose and aspire to inspire.