A Different Perspective on Sadness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

We can all easily ignore that feeling in the pit of our stomachs when you’re deeply and genuinely sad. But, pretending everything is ok on social media, going out as if everything is normal and not being truthful to yourself or others about how you’re really feeling won’t change anything. The sadness I’m describing isn’t exactly what you’d consider to be depression, but instead when you’re not yourself because of outside factors that are affecting you or even something within you, like a personal struggle, that is weighing you down.

When I’ve gone through these low points, sometimes it’s because of something that actually hurt me, sometimes its about something that was “stupid,” and sometimes I have no idea why I’m feeling so down. That’s the thing with this kind of sadness though, sometimes you can’t quite pinpoint what made you feel this way, which is frustrating. Then sometimes you know exactly what it is, but have trouble finding it in you to go about changing it.

One thing I know for sure that won’t help you get through these rough patches is keeping all your emotions to yourself and letting your thoughts get the best of you. I was so fearful that because my feelings were so confusing at times, no one else would get what I was feeling, and I’d just keep it to myself. But, no matter how confusing or even if you think the reason you’re so sad is silly, talk to someone. Chances are, they’ll be able to help you more than you think.

Try not to ignore your emotions. There have been countless of times where I tell myself: “I have a good life, great friends, supportive parents, more than what someone else may have.” But, telling yourself “Someone else probably has it worse than me,” does not mean you have to talk down your own feelings. It’s ok to be sad sometimes and be affected by things, we’re all human here.

And lastly, although I’m no professional at sadness and how to handle your emotions, only a girl with emotions herself and experiences to share, I think that being sad at times can show us what we truly value. Believe it or not, the things that upset you and make you sad are the things that matter most to you (at least most of the time). They show us what’s important and what’s not. Being sad sometimes can uncover things about yourself that you might not have known, which in itself is a great plus side to a negative mindset.

So, even when you are feeling sad and feel like there’s nowhere to turn, there are always options and always ways that you can try to pick yourself up. Although it’s ok from time to time, no one wants to feel sad forever. It’s up to you to change it.

xoxo,

Adri

Cover photo