Campus Cutie: Melissa Diaz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Name: Melissa Diaz

Age: 20

Hometown: Barranquilla, Colombia

Tell me about yourself and some of the things you’re involved with on campus:

Well I’m really involved on campus. I’m a 2014 peer advisor. Fall 2014 peer mentor. I’m a homecoming intern for the finance committee. I’m Vice President for my honors society (Delta Epsilon iIota) and a new member of Alpha Xi Delta. My major is accounting and international business and a certificate in import/export supply chain management. 

What are some of the things you like to do on your day off outside of all your involvements?

Well I like watching movies, traveling, road trips, beach, and going to the pool

What’s the job or career path you would want to pursue once you graduate?

The career that I want to pursue is to become a Certified Public Accountant. Once I graduate I want to travel as much as my job allows me to.

What’s the one place in the world you want to visit and why?

Anywhere in Europe and mainly because I’ve never been.

Any last words of advice to your fellow collegiates?

Focus on your academics but also get involved and have fun. Work hard play hard.

A kid raised in Brooklyn, New York home of fashion, art and great culture. The greatest thing to happen to me was living in the city in a sense it was a love/hate relationship because of the area in which I grew up in. Then there was Manhattan filled with all the lights and glamour and things that were on the big screen. Once I moved to Florida it was in a small town called Bradenton which was a huge culture shock because it was the total opposite from what I was used to in every sense ranging from transportation to people. Then there was the care free atmosphere in which shirts and shoes are optional and thong sandals are an every day thing opposed to the city where that is a rare find. Living in Bradenton gave me a different outlook on things and humbled me in a sense. Then moving to Miami for school brought me back to my city roots except with a different view on things and my motivation now is to gain success and not material things as I once dreamed of attaining.