Culture > News

Barack Obama to Rally with Andrew Gillum in Miami

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Miami, FL— With midterm elections less than a week away, candidates for office are campaigning furiously in hopes to secure their position as Governor of Florida. Andrew Gillum, the Democratic gubernatorial nominee for Florida, has been campaigning up and down the state and has recently announced that a special guest will rally with him on Friday in Miami, Florida.

Former United States President, Barack Obama, will join Gillum on Nov. 2 in Miami, Florida to aide in his campaign efforts and encourage Florida voters to vote blue in the upcoming midterm elections. Obama and Gillum will be accompanied by incumbent Democrat, Bill Nelson, who is running for reelection in the U.S Senate. Together, they will reinforce the significance of this year’s election and educate ralliers on their plans for Florida’s future.

The rally will be held at Ice Palace Film Studios in Miami and tickets are being distributed, for free, on a first-come-first-serve basis at the following locations:

• Fort Lauderdale: 1033 NW Sixth St., Suite 206;

• Miami Gardens: 16190 NW 27th Ave.;

• North Miami: 822 NE 125th St., Suite 110; and

• Coral Gables: 354 Minorca Ave.

Those interested in picking up tickets may go to one of those locations on Wednesday (10/31) or Thursday (11/1) between 12p.m. and 8p.m. The time of the rally on Friday has not been released as of yet.

As of today, Gillum is at 45% and Desantis, his Republican counterpart, is at 44% in regards to the election. This is EXTREMELY close, which is why both candidates are putting up their biggest fight in the days to come prior to election day on Nov. 6. Political parties aside, both candidates agree that it is pertinent for ALL registered voters in Florida to exercise their rights as citizens of the United States.

If you do not know where or how to vote, you may visit https://registration.elections.myflorida.com/CheckVoterStatus to obtain your voter registration number, check your status and find your polling place. For voters who did a mail-in ballot, you may check the status of it on that website to ensure that it has been received. Keep in mind that, statistically, mail-in ballots are 10x more likely to be thrown out than ballots submitted in person. Election day is November 6, 2018 and early voting ends on November 3, 2018.