The 5 Pros of Getting Involved at FIU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

One month of this semester has already passed, and I’m sure many of you have joined organizations, clubs, sororities, or all of them by now. And that’s a true joy because that means  your college life won’t be all just about books, tests, and homework. Sure, studying should never leave your to-do list since it’s why you are here to start with, but being part of something bigger than yourself is what makes college life that much more commemorative and fun.

If you haven’t joined any type of organization yet, ask around. Or better yet, check out this list that has all the organizations at FIU listed. There are many people willing to talk about their fun experiences and being part of a whole. If you are shy about it, that’s okay, I was too. However, we can tell you with all honesty that joining an organization is one of the most fulfilling feelings of being a college student. Here’s why:

1.You meet new people.

You make new friends that will probably be with you through your entire college life, and even after.

2.You become part of something greater than yourself

Being part of something that makes you feel like you are an important piece of a big puzzle is something to look forward to. It may give your life a little of that something you thought you were missing, and it may even bring you a cute shirt to go with it.

3.You have a purpose

Responsibility comes with everything in life and this is not an exception. However, there’s certain satisfaction at knowing that what you do matters to the FIU community.

4.You have fun

And that’s what we’re all looking forward to! There is only so much you can pull of that straight all-business-face when you’re spending time with the same people for weeks and weeks. 

5.You create memories.

After all our crazy experiences and rushed college life, that’s what’s left. After all, there’s not much of a great memory in studying!

Nathalie Fleitas is a marketing major and an English minor at Florida International University. She a words' enthusiast, a bookworm, and she gets overly attached with fictional characters. She likes making up stories about anything that she can imagine and later write it on paper. But overall, she hopes she can one day write something that will inspire millions of people.