This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

We see it everywhere on TV and in movies, the main character is always stopping to smell the roses or to read a book in a cute little store in a tiny town nothing like ours. Perhaps they  even stop by a flower stand and maybe a coffee shop. This fantasy world we see or read about is often thought of as unattainable, but the truth is, we just haven’t been looking for them. We’re so caught up with the commercialism of it all that we don’t realize that the simplicity of life can be seen by taking a step back. Here are 3 ways to Romanticize your life:

coffee, book and candle set by the window with a pillow
Photo by Alisa Anton from Unsplash

1. Treat yourself 

Instead of thinking about lavish things to buy, focus on creating habits that are inexpensive like buying yourself a bouquet of flowers every week or decorating your room with pieces that bring you joy, and not just because it’s “trendy.” Make this a habit as if you were running errands, but for your self-care. This will allow you to value the little things in life.

cooking dinner
Photo by Conscious Design from Unsplash

2. Romantic Dinner for One

A little thought goes a long way for dinner. The same way you want your partner to treat you is how you should treat yourself and that includes cooking. Instead of eating takeout every night or making the same easy meals, try some new recipes and plan it out for the whole week so you have something to look forward to every day. Set the mood by lighting candles and setting the table in a simple yet elegant way. Trips to the grocery store can be fun, especially when you shop for ingredients for your romantic dinner for one and don’t forget to buy yourself a little reward for keeping up with your dinners!

Paris streetview Montmartre cafe with pink flowers
Photo by Marloes Hilckmann from Unsplash

3.  Shop Local

Every movie or TV show has the main character at a local coffee shop, restaurant, bookstore, or market. The key to feeling like you’re in a movie is to shop local for a homier feeling. Chain restaurants just don’t have the charm that local establishments do.

Gabriela Gutierrez-Gallo is a senior at Florida International University, majoring in journalism with a minor in social media and e-marketing. Her true love is New York City and her interests include home decor, film and television history, traveling, and skincare.