Career

3 Ways to Improve Your Resume During The Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Many of us have had opportunities canceled thanks to COVID-19, and it’s causing our resumes to have some gaps.

For example, the summer study abroad to the UK that I had been planning for over a year was canceled in February. Then, an internship that I was looking at to replace the trip fell through in April. 

Unfortunately, the pandemic is still causing cancellations of all sorts of events and programs, and we all need to find ways to fill our resumes while things go back to normal. 

I would like to make the disclaimer that you should not feel pressured to overwhelm yourself with responsibilities and commitments. We’re still in a difficult situation, everyone is going through a lot, and mental health should still be a priority. 

With all that said, if you are looking to develop your professional background, here are three great ways to gain valuable experience that employers will love.

1. Complete online courses and certifications

Many universities, FIU included, offer access to LinkedIn Learning, which has an extensive library of courses in every field. Some are focused on soft skills such as writing, leadership, and public speaking. Others are on concrete subjects like coding, design, and data analysis. 

I have used courses in digital design in the past to improve my skills in Adobe Creative Suite, and many of my professors have used them as supplemental materials for online courses. 

These are a great way to work at your own pace on subjects outside your major or curriculum that will elevate your resume. There are courses in key areas that may get skipped over in school that can apply to any job in any field, like presentation and Excel. You can even take LinkedIn quizzes to get a badge in various skills to prove to potential employers that you are proficient. 

2. Get involved in extracurricular activities

If you’ve ever wanted to participate more in clubs and organizations at school but didn’t have the extra time to spend on campus, now is the perfect time to do so. Most organizations have found innovative ways to keep students involved remotely and through virtual events. 

It’s important to find an organization you’re passionate about, so your resume will not show random, disconnected activities, but ones that reflect your passions and values. 

At FIU specifically, organizations such as the Center for Leadership and Service are offering numerous virtual programs, such as Alternative Breaks and Academy of Leaders, both of which involve community service components. 

Having these involvements on your resume shows that you are a dedicated and well-rounded student willing to volunteer time to your university and community, not just a student who does the bare minimum to pass classes. 

3. Look for virtual internships

This is ideal, and it’s easier said than done, but it’s not impossible. Plenty of great companies have internship programs that they have transitioned to a virtual setting. 

When a company invests the time and effort into establishing a virtual internship experience, it shows they care about their interns and employees. As opposed to hiring unpaid students to get coffee and file papers, they will train and teach you while you work from home, giving you time and flexibility to juggle class and other commitments.

Many companies are going virtual for at least another semester, which means out-of-town opportunities are opened up to you that would never have been before. 

You would be able to say you interned at a prominent firm or agency in New York City, LA, or DC while you were still in school, and you could avoid a tedious and expensive relocation.

When looking for remote internships, keep in mind that they require more proactivity and time-management than a traditional job since you’ll be holding yourself accountable for completing your tasks. 

It’s easy to convince yourself you can work productively from your bed or binge your favorite show while you work. But it’s important to be submitting high-quality work, especially if this is a company you are hoping to get a permanent position at.

In addition to these tips, I suggest making a free appointment with a career counselor at FIU Career and Talent Development through Handshake. This counselor will review your resume, cover letter, or job application. It’s a great way to have someone familiar with your field give you personalized help. 

If you feel uncertain about your resume and have some extra time on your hands this semester, do some research about what opportunities are available for your major or field, and make the most of the situation we’re in.

Maria Duque is a senior at Florida International University majoring in Public Relations, Advertising and Applied Communications with a minor in Marketing. She is also a student in the Honors College at FIU. She is interning at rbb Communications as a digital intern, and is the Director of Accounts at BOLD FIU, a student-run strategic communications agency. She loves culture and literature, helping people and making change, so she is determined to find a career that will allow her to integrate these interests. Her favorite project is running a bookstagram account where she reviews and recommends books (linked below).