Wellness

Which Tea Should You Drink Based on Your Mood?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

We’ve all dropped into Starbucks to pick up our favorite order right before a long day of bouncing between work, internships, and school. Though coffee might take the cake as a perfect morning pick-me-up, there is a reason tea has been a global favorite for centuries. Tea offers more versatility when it comes to keeping your mood afloat throughout the entire day. Here is a list of teas for every mood:

Feeling anxious? Rose tea is the way to go.

Free of caffeine and sugars, rose tea is a soothing option for when you’re feeling anxious. The ingredients also help to calm the mind, so drinking right before bedtime is a great way to curb restless nights and avoid overthinking. 

Feeling down? Look no further than lemongrass tea 

Sipping on a hot cup of lemongrass tea can boost your mood in a pinch. The aroma of lemongrass is known for reducing stress. Although you can buy lemongrass tea pre-packaged, I recommend making it yourself with fresh lemongrass for guaranteed freshness.

Need a pick-me-up? Black tea is a morning staple.

With almost as much caffeine as a cup of coffee, black tea will get your day started on the right foot. Stir in some lemon and honey for a soothing twist that will wake you up.

For those restless nights, rely on chamomile tea.

Chamomile tea has been used for centuries as a natural sleep aid. My personal favorite is Bedtime tea by Yogi Tea which features chamomile and passionflower to help you unwind at the end of a long day.

Need some positivity? Chai tea is your friend.

Chai tea is known for its fragrant warm spices that will be sure to make you feel good from the inside out. Cardamom and ginger are mood-boosting spices that smell comforting. 

So, next time you’re in a funk or need an afternoon pick-me-up, ditch the coffee run and brew yourself a hot cup of tea. 

Alyssa DeStefano is a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City studying Advertising and Marketing Communications. She is a self-taught artist who is passionate about creating and exploring. In her free time, she loves painting, trying out new recipes, and spending time in nature.