7 Easy Dorm Recipes for When You’re Sick of Ramen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Are you getting sick of dining hall food, or you need new ideas for recipes to make in your dorm? For the past few weeks, I have run into this problem too. After spending way too much time searching the internet for easy recipes to make in a dorm, I have narrowed it down to my top seven. All of these recipes make one serving, but you can double or triple the recipe if you are making food for multiple people or want to save leftovers. 

1.  Lemon garlic zoodles

This is the perfect thing to have for lunch in between classes because it is a light meal and very quick and easy to make.

Ingredients: spiral cut zucchini (pro tip: Trader Joes sells zucchini already cut into noodles, but you can also buy zucchini and cut it yourself), 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 clove of garlic, and parmesan cheese.

On a skillet, add the olive oil and garlic and stir them until the garlic is brown (you’ll smell it).  Next, add the zoodles and lemon juice. You can use different amounts of each ingredients based on your preferences.  Cook until zoodles become soft. Top it off with some parmesan cheese and enjoy!

2. Green smoothie 

I love this recipe because it sneaks in so many healthy ingredients without you even noticing.  This is the perfect smoothie to make in the morning and bring to class, or for lunch in the afternoon. 

Ingredients: 1 banana, ½ cup of frozen berries, 1 tablespoon of flaxseed, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, ½ cup of almond milk, 2 cups of spinach.

Blend all the ingredients in a blender.  Depending on the consistency, add more almond milk or frozen berries. 

3. Chicken stir fry

This recipe definitely requires the most ingredients and planning, but you could also multiply the recipe and save leftovers for another night. 

Ingredients: 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast, 2 tablespoons of olive oil (divide in half), 2 cups of broccoli florets, ½ cup of sliced carrots, 2 teaspoons of minced ginger, 2 cloves of garlic.  For the sauce: 1 tablespoon of corn starch, 2 tablespoons of cold water, ½ cup of low sodium chicken broth, 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce, ¼ cup of honey

To make the sauce first, in a bowl, mix together the corn starch and water.  Then add the chicken broth, soy sauce, and honey. Next, put 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a skillet on medium high heat. Cut the chicken into pieces and let cook through. Once the chicken is done cooking, remove from the skillet. On medium heat, add the broccoli and shredded carrots to the skillet and let cook, then add the ginger and garlic.  Toss the chicken into this mixture. Now, pour the sauce over the vegetables and chicken and toss gently. Let the sauce come to a boil, and then remove from heat. Add rice if desired and enjoy!

4. Banana pancakes 

This is the perfect breakfast for a weekend morning when you have time to sit down and eat. 

Ingredients: 1 medium ripe banana, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 large egg, 2-3 tablespoons of coconut flour, oil (amount will vary since were using it to cook the pancakes) 

Use a fork to mash the banana in a mix bowl and then add baking powder and vanilla extract.  Next, combine the egg into the mixture. Add the coconut flour one tablespoon at a time until the batter thickens. On a skillet over medium heat, add cooking oil once the skillet is heated. Turn the heat down before you start making the pancakes.  Scoop ¼ cup of pancake batter for each pancake onto the skillet. Depending on the size of your skillet you may be able to make multiple pancakes at once. Cook for about 3 minutes before flipping and letting the pancakes cook on the other side. Serve with fruit or maple syrup!

5.  10-minute microwave baked potato

For those nights when you don’t have time to whip out a meal, or when you’re craving a baked potato, this recipe is delicious and easy and only takes 10 minutes.

Ingredients: 1 russet potato, 1 tablespoon of oil, salt to taste, 2 slices of bacon, ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, fresh chives.

After rinsing and scrubbing the potato, rub the oil and salt on the outside skin. Poke holes on the top of the potato using a fork, and place on a microwavable plate, along with the 2 slices of bacon.  Place this in the microwave for 7-9 minutes until the potato is tender and the bacon is crispy. Be sure not to let these cook in the microwave for too long because the bacon may burn. Break apart the bacon into smaller pieces and set aside. Cut the top of the potato and use a fork to fluff up the potato on the inside. Add the shredded cheese to the potato and microwave for another 30 seconds.  Add the sour cream, bacon bits, and chives.

6. Olive oil and rosemary popcorn

Because we all crave popcorn every once in a while – and everyone agrees that popcorn tastes so much better when it is fresh and warm.

Ingredients: 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels, 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1-2 sprigs of rosemary, sea salt or pink Himalayan salt 

In a large saucepan with a lid, add a just few popcorn kernels first and the olive oil. As they start to pop, add the rest of the popcorn kernels and one sprig of rosemary. With the lid on, gently toss the pan back and forth so kernels at the bottom don’t burn. Once the popping noises slow down or stop remove the pan from heat. You can add some sea salt or pink Himalayan salt to taste or more rosemary. 

7.  Confetti mug cake 

Lastly, you deserve to treat yourself for all the work you do.  This is a quick, easy, and mess-free recipe for when you’re craving something sweet. 

Ingredients: 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon of baking powder, 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons of fat-free milk, ½ teaspoon vegetable oil, 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 ½ teaspoon of rainbow sprinkles.

Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla in a microwave-safe mug that can hold at least 8 oz. Mix some of the sprinkles into this mix and then sprinkle the rest on top.  Place in the microwave for 1 minute, add time if the cake doesn’t look cooked. Let cool before eating and enjoy!

Let’s face it, we don’t always have the time or energy to cook real meals in college. Luckily, with these seven easy recipes, you’ll be eating like a queen. Bon appetit!

Follow Lindsey on Instagram.

Lindsey is studying Fashion Business Management at the Fashion Institute of Technology. Her hobbies include spying on cute dogs, finding new ice cream places, and shopping. Follow her Instagram @lindseylabarbera
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.