Rain Leaves Nature Green Plant
Rain Leaves Nature Green Plant
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

5 Plant Based Foods You Need to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

If you are transitioning to a plant-based diet or simply trying to consume fewer animal products than usual, check out my list of delicious plant-based alternatives! I’ve been on my plant-based journey for six months now, and I couldn’t have done it without these products!

1. Silk Oat Yeah Creamer

This creamer is so thick and creamy. The perfect addition to coffee, tea, and even smoothies! This will truly make you forget about dairy creamers all together! Believe it or not, oat milk actually contains more bone-strengthening calcium than cow’s milk and virtually no fat. In comparison, oat milk has zero cholesterol and 2.5 grams per cup versus 8 grams in cow’s milk.

2. Morning Star Farm’s Chipotle Black Bean Burgers

These burgers are so flavorful! By far the best plant-based burger I’ve tried. These burgers do not taste like meat, but have their own spicy and bold flavor. Also, they are much healthier than beef burgers. They have 72% less fat than regular ground beef patties and 9 grams of protein. Regular ground beef contains 15 grams total fat per serving, while MSF Spicy Black Bean Burgers contain 4.5 grams total fat per serving. I love to add guacamole, red onions, and a slice of tomato to my burger. These burgers are a must for any barbeque!

3. Silk Peach Yogurt

This yogurt is my favorite, it’s so light and refreshing. The consistency is definitely thinner than dairy yogurt, but I don’t mind! Peach is my favorite because it really has the juicy flavor of the fruit. It’s great in smoothies or topped with your favorite granola. It contains 5 grams of plant-powered protein and is a good source of calcium. 

4. Sabra Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

This is a staple for anyone who wants to transition to a plant-based diet because it is so versatile, nutritious, and delicious! I love enjoying Sabra Hummus with pita chips, on sandwiches, and veggies. Hummus is packed with plant-based protein and will leave you feeling full for hours. 

5. Ben & Jerry’s Non-dairy Frozen Dessert Coconut Seven Layer Bar

This ice cream is amazing! Made with non-GMO-sourced certified vegan ingredients and fairtrade-certified sugar, cocoa, and vanilla. There is something new in every bite of this coconut ice cream with chunks of graham cracker, fudge, walnuts, and caramel swirl. I don’t miss dairy at all when enjoying a bowl of this ice cream. This is my favorite not-so-guilty pleasure with fewer calories and fat than dairy ice cream. 

Transitioning to a plant-based diet is difficult, but these alternatives make all the difference. Hope you are inspired to try one (or all) of these delicious products.

Hi I'm Ava! I am from Long Island,NY. I am a Communications Design major at the Fashion Institute of Technology. I Love design, fashion, beauty, and sustainability. I am an aspiring vegan and love to eat healthy and discover new workouts.