This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

Falmouth University has so many options for studying abroad. There’s the popular Erasmus scheme, which applies to various places around Europe and means not only is nearly everything paid for you, but you are even given an allowance each month. Then, there’s the studying abroad, which applies to places outside of Europe and includes countries such as America, Japan, all the way to Australia. I personally had the opportunity to study in New York’s Sarah Lawrence College – a very left wing university, with a long lasting impact.

I’ll first discuss the application process. It was long. For starters, when I applied they weren’t even sure if they were still partnered with half of the university’s listed, and my application took absolutely weeks to go through. That being said, the team are helpful as long as you keep on top of them. The university does a lecture on studying abroad at least once a year, which gives you a lot of the basic information, and is really worth it if you get the chance to go. It’s here I learned that studying abroad wouldn’t be cheap – although your tuition fees get paid by the university, you may have to fork out some of your own money for the remaining fees. But if this is something you are pondering, let me assure you, it’s worth it.

There are a lot of pedantic things. With a place like America, you of course have to apply for a visa and within the right time. The university can help you here, too, with making sure you apply for the correct visa, but you will have to travel to the embassy in London in order to get your visa. And even in that case, they take your passport and send it back to you. I got mine just two weeks before flying to America, which was terrifying as I’d already bought the flights! But after a long few months of filling out applications, emailing SLC and rushing to and from London, it was finally happening – I was flying to New York, to start the semester that changed my life.

I’d never been abroad by myself before. New York was 5 hours away in a plane, and I was picked up from the station in a hired car that my dad had paid for, and the driver of said car was not one for small talk. So I was left to stare gormlessly at the wonder that is New York – towering buildings, a blend of cultures, all while driving on the right side of the road. I was bemused about the little differences in things.  

Soon after, I met my roommate. Sharing a room was honestly my idea of hell, as I’m someone who very much needs their personal space, but it wasn’t really that bad in the end and my roommate was very kind. There were a few welcome events, and the atmosphere around me was incredible. It was just buzzing. Teachers came up to talk and students cheered and laughed, and people were generally very accommodating of the girl from across the pond (American’s literally love an English accent. I got into a really popular, hard to get into class just because of my accent).

Classes were also really different. I think I’m right in saying that in most case, you choose a major and a minor when studying in American universities – but Sarah Lawrence had a system where you took three different classes that varied in lengths. This meant I got to study a “Theatre Third”, a writing class, and psychology – something I’d never done before. This was just the first of my experiences in getting to try new things, but it wasn’t that scary. When you’re already in such a different place where everything is different, you almost take these different things in your stride. I still can’t believe some of the things I got to do when I look back on them.

There’s also of course the widely different culture. SLC is very creative, and very proactive. Where Falmouth has quite a chilled out attitude, SLC had several sports teams, a variety of events for students, and even a big involvement in real world issues. I found myself getting to take ice skating lessons with the university for free, and hanging out in a little hang out called “The Black Squirrel” where people drank milkshakes instead of alcohol whilst enjoying an open mic night. And massive celebrations were held for Halloween, Thanksgiving and the holiday season. And being there for four months meant I also got to experience the city almost as though I was living there, instead of from the perspective of a holiday maker.

It’s one semester – but you will make friends for life, and amazing memories, as well experiencing a once in a lifetime trip. I came back with so much obscure knowledge, and having seen things like yellow taxicabs with my own eyes. I made friends with people who were just as interested in me as I was them, and learned how despite our differences, we were just so in love with learning new things. I’m so glad I had the opportunity thanks to Falmouth University, and urge everyone to do the same. You will miss it so hard afterwards, but it’s worth it. This is absolutely the time to go.

P.S. Go Gryphons! (Sarah Lawrence students will get this!) 

Annabelle Simons is a writer and bee-lover based in Falmouth, Cornwall. When she grows up, she wants to be a superhero, but for now she will continue to strive for saving the bees and burying her head in many different fantasy worlds. When she is not writing about the wonders of Cornwall, she is writing fiction which mostly revolves around magic and the joy of female friendships. You can follow her twitter here: https://twitter.com/Annabumblebelle
My name is Paris Anne Richardson and I am attending Falmouth University studying English with Creative Writing. I am an avid reader and subscriber to both Atlas and Vogue. My ideal day is hanging out with my girlfriends shopping and hopping from one coffee shop to another, and I am massive sucker for people watching. Hope you enjoy reading all the posts.