This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

I sat down with second year Ray Carter in Kimberly Park in Falmouth and had a nice conversation about their life at uni.

Name: Ray Carter

Age: 19

Zodiac Sign: Pisces 

Gender pronouns: They/Them

Relationship Status: Single

HC: Where are you from and how is it different from Falmouth?

RC: I’m from Folkstone in Kent which is really similar to Falmouth superficially; it’s a small artsy town, but there is very little student population so it’s very slow there and less exciting. It also feels a little less safe! It’s a place where there’s a big divide between gentrified rich artistic neighborhoods and people who are unemployed and live in poverty but with very little geographical distance between the two.

HC: What course do you do?

RC: I study illustration and I’m in my second year! 

HC: What’s your favourite colour? 

RC: I can’t choose a favourite colour because it’s always changing, but I do have favourite combinations of colour; I like ultramarine and gold and vermillion and plum. 

HC: What societies are you in? 

RC: I’m the FXU LGBT Society, the FXU African Caribbean Society, and I frequently go to Viva Voce. 

HC: What advice can you offer freshers on your course? 

RC: I’d tell freshers on illustration to improvise and experiment! Do what you can and trust your work, and don’t berate yourself for imperfection. Start to learn when to let things go and use as many of the course resources as you can; also listen to Ashley.

HC: What are some of the things you’ve learned after being at uni for a little over a year? 

RC: After being at uni for just over a year I’ve learned to depend on myself better emotionally; I think I’ve made some necessary evolutions in terms of how I deal with difficulties and anxieties! I’m better at seeking help but now I’m also becoming more self reliant.

HC: What is your favourite part about your course?

RC: I like illustration because it bridges the gap between art and everyone— it’s made to communicate. I’ve been offered the opportunity do things I love as often as I want; I’m really grateful for the chance to focus on art!

HC: If you could be any animal what would you be?

RC: If I could be any animal I’d like to be some kind of big cat cause they’re powerful, cool, and beautiful which is very different to the image I have of myself currently. I guess it’s an aspirational thing.

HC: Who are some of your favourite music artists?

RC: My fave musical artists are Bey and Solange, Prince (r.i.p.), Lauryn Hill, Kendrick Lamar, and newer people like Kehlani.

HC: What’s the most bizarre thing that has happened to you at uni? 

RC: The most bizarre thing that has happened to me at university is probably either letting the campus cat live in our flat and then finding a mouse stuck to the floor several months later, or observing a makeshift doubles ping pong match conducted by people standing on tables.

HC: What’s something that you’re looking forward to?

RC: I’m looking forward to seeing how my current project turns out; I often think I can start a project with very little idea of what will happen at the end and I just have to trust that the answers will form from the process! I’m also looking forward to Moana

HC: If you had the option of trying out a different course at uni, what would you choose?

RC: Uh if I were to try a different course I think I’d maybe try drawing? I know it’s pretty similar to illustration, so I think maybe I would try something like creative writing! I miss writing and reading and I don’t have a lot of time to commit to it anymore.

Thanks so much for taking the time to sit with me, Ray! 

Hi there! My name is Genesis and I'm the CC for Her Campus Falmouth! I also currently study English with Creative Writing at Falmouth Universty! I'm originally from New York City but I'm abroad for university. Some of the things I love include the colour pink, furry and fat animals, watching films, going for walks, taking pictures of animals, reading sci-fi, and writing!