This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Falmouth chapter.

As the last few votes are cast in the student president elections I thought it best to speak to Fred Mallin, current FXU Falmouth President and former Marine and Natural History student, to discuss his experiences as Falmouth President.

1. What does the role of FXU Falmouth President involve?

The role of Falmouth President is a more ‘behind the scenes’ role compared to that of Student Experience, for example. I work in line with the highest sectors of the University management board. The work primarily focuses on education and employability. Something that is the same for every President is that we all create a manifesto.

2. Could you tell me a little more about the manifesto?

The manifesto details a list of goals which you hope to achieve during your time as President. This should take into account the student body.

3. What advice would you give to students hoping to apply for the role of FXU Falmouth President? What sort of student do you think makes a good President?

Come and speak to me. I have already spoken to lots of students interested in the role and I think it is important to have an awareness of what it involves and what sort of attitude you need to have and how to conduct yourself professionally, such as in meetings. This is all stuff that I can advise on. It would be good preparation for those putting themselves forward for the roles.

As for who should consider themselves, I think anyone with a ‘can do’ mentality and having the will to help others is important. You need to want to make a difference to the student community. Once I got the role of President I spoke to lots of fellow students across the different subjects, paying attention to what they said about their experiences at university – listening to students and taking in their views both positive and negative is important.

4. What do you find most challenging about the role?

Personal afflictions can be difficult to deal with. Time is another thing. We get a set number of hours a week and sometimes it can be frustrating when something appears unachievable. You might have spent a great deal of time or have high hopes for something to be done, but you might not be able to make it happen.

Acronyms are another thing. They pop up everywhere which can be frustrating when you don’t know what they mean!

5. What do you find most rewarding about the role of Falmouth President?

I think helping students really is the main thing. If I have helped someone, then on a personal level, that makes me happy. It’s great to see your work and efforts having a positive impact on the student community.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me, Fred, and I wish you all the best with the remainder of your time as Falmouth President.

Good luck to all of the candidates who have been tirelessly campaigning throughout the week for ! 

If you would like to know more about Fred’s role as FXU Falmouth President you can check out the FXU webpage: https://www.fxu.org.uk/about/fxupresidentfalmouth/

Currently studying English with Creative Writing at Falmouth University.
My name is Paris Anne Richardson and I am attending Falmouth University studying English with Creative Writing. I am an avid reader and subscriber to both Atlas and Vogue. My ideal day is hanging out with my girlfriends shopping and hopping from one coffee shop to another, and I am massive sucker for people watching. Hope you enjoy reading all the posts.