You Don’t Have to Follow Trends to be In Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Recently, I was scrolling through my Instagram feed, when I came across a quote that really resonated with me. It was from one of my favorite style icons, Shay Mitchell, on one of my favorite style Instagrams, People Style Watch. The quote read, “It’s great to be in style, but you’re going to look even better if you just look like you”. 

For as long as I can remember, I had always been totally obsessed with clothes, following all of my favorite fashion magazines to try to see which of the newest trends I could attempt to mimic with the clothes I had….or maybe a few new purchases.   Looking back on how my love of clothes evolved, I remember the fact that I would receive the most compliments on the outfits that I created myself, based on my own style. The fact that I was receiving compliments based on things I was wearing was a total confidence booster. I’ve always been pretty shy, but clothes and style has allowed me a way to express myself and connect with others in a way that I could have never even imagined.

So, after thinking back on how clothes were able to help me find some sort of self-confidence I was feeling rather ~inspired~ and decided to come up with ways for other girls to truly love what they are wearing.

Make Sure You Actually LIKE What You Are Wearing

I think the first and most important thing is to wear what you like and feel comfortable in. When you like what you’re wearing, your confidence will radiate and you will feel like you are ready to tackle the world. It doesn’t matter if you enjoy wearing a dress everyday or leggings and sweatshirt, when you like what you’re wearing you feel happy and others will be able to see that. Likewise, when you are wearing something that just isn’t you, it will cause extra worry that just is not needed.  Wearing an outfit you feel comfortable and confident in removes one serving of stress from our already overfilled plate.  

Don’t Be Afraid To Give Compliments

We should also not be afraid to give compliments to one another. As girls we should be lifting each other up, not tearing each other down. When you see a girl around campus (or a guy) and you like what they are wearing, don’t be afraid to say so.  A genuine compliment will give you both confidence and make your days that much brighter. 

You Don’t Have to Dress Up Everyday

Some days you may not be feeling like you want to dress up or even put on jeans for that matter. It’s okay to wear leggings and a fleece to class or to grab lunch in town. Once again it is important to like what you are wearing.

Designer Labels Aren’t Everything

You shouldn’t feel obligated to make everything you purchase be from a designer brand. Places like Forever 21 and Marshalls offer tons of pieces that are sure to capture your signature style. You can find things that are your style anywhere, after all, who doesn’t love shopping? 

Clothes Will Help You Tackle Every Event Life Has to Offer  

And lastly, when you feel good in what you wearing, it can get you through some of life’s most exciting and terrifying situations.  From the interview at your dream internship, a first date with the guy you’ve been crushing on, feeling confident in your classes (especially on presentation days), or going out for a night of fun, clothes are any easy way to make you that much more confident and sure of yourself.   

Style should be fun and enjoyable, not stressful so enjoy it!

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.