World Mental Health Day: 9 ways to take of yourself and your mental health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Today is World Mental Health Day and we want to take a minute to acknowledge the importance of mental health.  Although often times it isn’t talked about as much as it should be, it is so so SO important to take care of yourself and your mental well-being.  To celebrate World Mental Health Day, here are 9 ways to start working towards taking care of yourself.

1. Think positively about yourself

It all starts with how you view yourself.  You need to love yourself before you can love anyone else.  You are great and you know it, so just keep telling yourself that.  Respect yourself and treat yourself with kindness rather than continuing to tear yourself down.

1. Do something you’re good at    or enjoy

It does not matter what it is or what other people think of it… do something that brings you joy!  Whether it’s playing an instrument, baking or maybe even just reading a book, do it. To take care of your mental health, you need to focus on doing things that will bring you joy and stop wasting time on things that bring you down.  Do what you love and happiness will come your way.

1. Get Active

Now when we say get active we do not mean start running 5 miles a day or starting lifting heavy weights in the gym.  Start with something small like taking a spin class or going for a walk around campus. Being active will make you feel good! It leads to decreased depression and anxiety and helps improve your mood overall!

1. Eat Well

Ice cream and other high sugar foods may taste good in the moment, but your body won’t be happy with you after.  Eating food that has high nutritional value is better for your body, will sustain higher energy and make you feel better!  Part of making yourself feel good overall involves making your body feel good on the inside. Eating well and making your plate colorful can be a fun activity to do with your roommate too.

1. Get in touch with a friend

We all miss our friends from home when we are at school.  Sometimes it only takes a quick Facetime session with one of your BFFs to change your whole mood.  It will take your mind off of all the negative junk going on, and it can be nice to just talk to someone who isn’t involved in the issues.

1. Treat yourself

All of us need to treat ourselves every once in a while.  Go out and get your nails done or go and buy some new clothes because you deserve it!  You work hard to get yourself through a week of school and you should reward yourself every once in a while for all the effort you put in.  Sometimes you just need that time to sit back, relax, and give yourself a break.

1. Avoid drinking

We get that at school that this can be easier said than done at times, but keeping away from alcohol can have a huge positive affect on your mental health.  Although sometimes people think drinking can help you ignore or forget about your problems, more often than not it will just make them worse.

1. Get enough sleep

Sleep is SO important in general, and especially in college.  It does not matter how much coffee you drink or what you do to keep yourself going, you need to take that 8 hours every night to let your mind and body unwind.  Lack of sleep can lead to depression, and it is hard to function in a college setting when you are mentally and physically exhausted.

1. Talk to someone about it

Sometimes you just need to talk about your problems. Whether it is with a trusted friend or a professional, talking it out can be more helpful than you may realize, and can help alleviate the stress you are feeling. Fairfield U offers free and confidential counseling for students that everyone should take advantage of. It doesn’t matter how insignificant you may think your problem is, they are always there to talk you through any stress you may be experiencing.

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com