Career > Money

What I Spent in a Week as a Fairfield University Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Inspired by Her Campus’ series “Where’d My Money Go?” I decided that it would be interesting to keep track of my spending as a college student. For context, I am a freshman at Fairfield University and pay for everything with my own money. I currently do not have a job, so I am using money from my summer job. My usual budget per week is $75, which would include groceries/snacks, Ubers, matcha/chai latte runs, and a few other goodies. This week was very abnormal, with an exciting trip in the middle of the week and a lesson learned at the end. 

Monday: I have classes for most of the day, which helps me spend less money. I donated $15 to the Turkey Earthquake fund. Every dollar counts, so if you can, please donate! I contributed to the Harvard Turkish Student Association, which will match all donations. Venmo, @harvard-tsa. 

Daily total: $15

Tuesday: I am done with classes early on Tuesday, so if the weather is nice, I will walk or take the Stagbus to Shearwater. Today I took the Stagbus to downtown Fairfield and walked to Shearwater with my friend. I got an iced chai latte with oatmilk and a chocolate coconut biscotti for $8.86. I treat myself to an iced chai latte once a week, and the one at Shearwater is delicious, especially topped with cinnamon. When I returned to campus, I purchased tickets to Rey’s Lounge for Saturday night, costing me $19.68. In the evening, I went to a spin class with my friends, which cost $0 since it’s in the RecPlex. Peter G, also known as DJ on a Bike, was the instructor. A great way to end my Tuesday!

Daily total: $28.54

Wednesday: I won tickets to the live taping of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, a few weeks before, and today was the day of the taping! I spent $27 on a round-trip Metro-North ticket from Fairfield to Grand Central. Once, I met up with my hometown friends who were joining me for the show in the city, we got food at The Elk in West Village. I got soba noodles and an iced chai latte for $21. We went on the subway three times, costing $8.25. The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon was a fantastic experience to watch live and, thankfully, $0! We were lucky and got the front row, and Jimmy even pointed and made a heart at me. I was completely fangirling. After the show, I splurged and bought a $23.40 Jimmy Fallon baseball hat. Before the Metro-North ride back to Fairfield, I bought falafel over rice from a street vendor for $20. The city is insanely expensive, so today was way out of budget for me. 

Daily total: $99.65

Thursday: Today was a prominent study day for me. I had classes until late and spent most of my day in the library doing homework and writing my narrative for English. I paid $1.85 today buying Chex-Mix from the vending machine in the library. 

Daily total: $1.85

Friday: The weather was terrific today, so after my last class, my friend and I decided to do a hot girl walk from campus to the beach and back. It was a beautiful 6-mile walk. We were tempted to stop at Shearwater for iced chai lattes but controlled ourselves. Later that night, my friends and I ubered to Westport and got hibachi. The uber split cost me around $10, and I did not pay for dinner. 

Daily total: $10

Saturday: Another day of beautiful weather. My friends and I joined the Outdoors Club and hiked Sleeping Giant, a little over a 3-mile hike. I used to hike a lot when I was younger, so I plan to do it a lot more this Spring as it’s a relaxing and free activity. I ubered with friends to Rey’s Lounge in the evening, costing $11.

Daily total: $11

Sunday: I had a lot of studying today and did not want to be in the library. My friends and I took the Stagbus into town and had a quick lunch at Firehouse Deli. I got the “Healthy Wrap,” costing $9.95. After lunch, we walked to Shearwater to study. I got a matcha latte and cheddar chive scone costing $13.69. 

Daily total: $23.64

Weekly total: $189.69

This week was way over budget for me, with a total of $189.69 spent. It was a hectic and exciting week; unfortunately, I spent more money than usual. Seeing the grand total hurts me as it is a lot of money for someone who does not have a job. A lesson that I learned from the experience of tracking my spending of the week has made me reflect on how easily money can be spent and how it is crucial to track every dollar. I will continue to log my money spent weekly, and I highly encourage you to. It made me more aware, and I plan to spend my money more thoughtfully and wisely using this method.

Suzanne Collins

Fairfield '26

Suzanne Collins is a first-year student studying marketing at Fairfield University's Dolan School of Business. In her free time, she enjoys playing squash, finding the best matcha spot in town, and trying new cuisines. She hopes to pursue a marketing career in tech or the food and beverage industry, or she will start a company of her own.