danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Prepare for the Career Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Career Fairs are the perfect time to network with possible employers for a future job or internship. Due to the crazy winter weather, the Career Fair has been rescheduled for Febrauary 27 at the Rec Plex from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Lucky for us collegiettes, it gives us more time to prepare! Below I have a timeline of some tips to help you prepare for the upcoming career fair:

A week before

This is the time to figure out what you are going to wear. You want to give yourself plenty of time to go shopping for clothes, if need be. Now, what to buy? You should try to dress in a professional manner, business casual is fine, but this will give you that competitive edge. If you are a senior definitely wear a suit, and if you do not have one this is the time to invest in one. For juniors, sophomore, and you ambitious freshmen, you can get away with wearing nice business slacks with a blouse. As well, remember minimal jewelry and makeup, you do not want employers to be distracted by your statement necklace as you are telling them about yourself. 

Few days before

A few days before the career fair is when you should make an appointment with the career center to perfect your resume. You can call (203)-254-4081 to schedule an appointment with a career counselor, or can go to drop-in hours Tuesday thru Friday 1:30 pm-4 pm as well. Make sure to print out at least 25 copies of your resume on resume paper, adding to your professional appearance. Also, prepare a brief introduction about your skills and qualifications to gain the employers interest. Prepare some questions as well, and make sure they are specific to the company; this will make the employers see your interest and knowledge of their business.

Night before

Take a look at all the companies that will be attending the career fair. Pick the tables you want to go to and RESEARCH those companies! There is a list of all the companies attending on Stags4hire and a little bit about them. It is so impressive to employers when you are aware of their mission and what they do! Sounds like common sense, but you would be shocked at the number of students who do not do so. Most importantly, make sure to go to bed early so you are refreshed for the fair!

Day of

The day of the Career Fair is your time to shine! Try to go the first hour of the fair since this is when it’s the slowest and you won’t have to wait on those long lines to talk to some employers. Also, try going to tables that you are not so interested in first to practice and get rid of some of that anxiety. Another place where you can calm your nerves is at the Career Center table; they are there just for that as well as some last minute tips! Just remember to take a few deep breaths, smile, and be confident because that is what will shine through. Don’t forget to grab business cards and follow up with a thank you note! Good luck everyone! 

Photo sources:

http://sites.laverne.edu/careers/mock-interview-day-2013/

https://www.lavc.edu/cooped/benefits.html

Mary is a Fairfield University senior majoring in Communication with a minor in Marketing. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Fairfield, which she has been apart of since the launch in February 2014. Things that Mary can't live without: Starbucks, Gilmore Girls (Team Jess all the way), Instagram, statement necklaces and her dog. She also has a real weakness for avocado toast. Make sure to follow her on Instagram, @marystamp   
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.