nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Dress Professionally When It’s Freezing Outside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It is that time of year! Get your hair pulled back, pencil skirts out and newly printed copies of your resume ready because it is internship hunting season. With the Career Fair right around the corner (February 27th to be precise), what better time to discuss how to look professional and stylish, yet seasonable?

Lets start with the basic do’s and don’ts of your career fair/interview clothing; keep it simple. Limited jewelry, simple make-up and neutral, monotone color schemes. Leave the stacks of Alex and Ani bracelets at home, and save the smoky eye for Friday night at the Townhouses. Potential employers are not hiring you for your ability to coordinate colors and pull off the “not matching, yet it still works” look. They are looking for professional, skilled and talented young women (and men) who can manage a project and handle new tasks no matter their outfit. Remember, you are selling yourself, not your outfit.

With this Polar Vortex weather and the endless amounts of snow, dressing professional and interview-ready is not exactly the most appealing. Who wants to be shuffling through the slush, ice and wintery mix in heels and tights? Wouldn’t things just be so much easier if the New York City professional world accepted Lululemon and Patagonia as suitable attire? When it comes to weather appropriate, a girl can only wear so many layers.

Bare legs are an obvious no-no in the professional world, and I doubt any of you were even considering daunting those killer calves of yours in these frigid temperatures, so pull out the tights. If you choose to go with a skirt or dress, I would opt for a pair of knit tights. They are sold in basic, solid colors like grey and black and can even be found with cute, yet simplistic knit patterns like cross weaving or ribbed. The thicker material is key for keeping your legs warm, while not having to give into pants.

If you can’t bare the idea of a skirt during winter, try a pair of tights under your pants! The sheer black and nude one’s are great for warmer weather paired with skirts, but they don’t seem to do much for us now, yet they are perfect to slide under you’re a pair of chinos for extra heat. The extra layer isn’t bulky enough to make you need a size up in your pants, but just enough to keep the extra warmth in.

Another great way to dress qualified and avoid the artic tundra look is with sweaters, specifically cardigans. I think cardigans are super professional, but cute and fitting at the same time. They keep your shape in tact, without being too tight, and yet don’t drown you in super thick, endless amounts of material like many winter sweaters. Try them over sleeveless tops, dresses and even over a long-sleeve button down incase it is extra chilly out.

Cardigans aren’t your scene? Check out a blazer! Blazers are awesome to have, and I recommend most girls owning a few, they are super versatile and look great with jeans, but can easily be transformed to seamlessly match the pencil skirt you have set aside for the big interview. You’ll be thankful for the extra weight of a blazer when it’s bitter outside.

Finally, rather than going with your puffy, fur lined winter jacket, pull out that coat saved for special occasions. It is not hard to find dress coats that come in a variety of colors, lengths and weights. I love my tea-length, wool J.Crew coat, it is heavy enough to keep me warm without running the risk of being a “fat coat” as my sister used to say, and the longer length of it keeps my legs warm when I decide on skirts or dresses. Extra bonus; outwear is a great way to add in a pop of color, without running the risk of looking unprofessional, try a green coat or pink scarf and gloves!

When it comes to work-wear, many clothing outlets sell separate pieces for winter and summer, so if you’re still shopping for your professional wardrobe, remember to buy pieces that are already made of a heavier fabric. Aim for wool pants and dresses, and save the linen and cotton for the warmer days of spring and summer.   

Cover Image courtesy of Levo League

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.