Gucci Ad Banned for Featuring “Unhealthily Thin” Models

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The United Kingdom has banned a Gucci ad for having “unhealthily thin” models. According to the Huffington Post, a compliant was filed with the United Kingdom Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) regarding two models that were featured in Gucci’s Cruise 2016 campaign.

The ASA found that one of the models featured seemed “unhealthily thin” in still photos that were seen at the end of a video ad.

The organization stated that the model’s body “appeared to be out of proportion with her head and lower body” while also addresses the model’s “somber facial expression and dark makeup”.

ASA concluded by stating that it was “irresponsible” to keep the model in the advertisement.  Gucci was ordered to remove the model’s still image from the video.

Gucci responded to the compliant by stating that the ad was “aimed at an older, sophisticated audience”.  The brand doesn’t believe that the model could be seen as unhealthy, but they did follow the orders to remove her image from the ad.

To view the ad in its entirety click here.

Hi my name is Alejandra Arias and I am the Executive Feature Editor for Her Campus Fairfield
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.