This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays for more reasons than one. While the food (duh!) and the Macy’s parade are the stars of the day, the outfit must NOT be forgotten! I think I first started to truly care about my Thanksgiving outfits when I was in middle school – think infinity scarves, cold-shoulder tops, and the infamous brown button-up skirt. Though trends are coming and going faster than ever, I believe that a great Thanksgiving outfit holds onto some classic elements. Here, I’ll list some affordable and family-friendly (while still being super cute) outfit ideas you can check out for your Thanksgiving. WARNING: There are a lot of sweaters.

1. Black and White

You cannot go wrong with this classic combo. There are endless ways to put together a black and white outfit but I’ll tell you how I would do it. I own every aspect of this outfit and I love it. These pants are PERFECT for Thanksgiving. They are super stretchy and comfortable but the sleek seam that runs down the front of each leg elevates the look. These hair bows come in a pack of 4 from Amazon but there are a bunch of different colors available if you look for it! 

Striped Sweater

Cream Pants

Hairbows

Black Boots

1. Jeans and a Sweater

I know jeans and a sweater sound so simple, but they don’t have to be. There are endless combinations and it can sometimes be challenging to find a way to make the age-old classic new again; not that I am claiming to reinvent the wheel here. Silhouettes and fits of jeans and sweaters are constantly changing, so following the trends will still in a way be timeless. My favorite flared jeans right now are from Hollister and I know what you are thinking – “We are not in middle school anymore”. But let me tell you, they have upped their game in recent years and have tons of great basics. Their curvy line is also fantastic! As for the sweater, there is almost no wrong choice, anything goes with denim. This is a place for your personal style to shine through. For Thanksgiving, I am a traditionalist, so I would go with the basic fall color palette of dark and warm tones, but feel free to go bright, bold, and pink if you want! The sweater I found is a cozy mock neck that comes in a wide range of colors, both neutral and not. I would pair this fit with the shoe of the season, the Boston Clog. However, I will do you one better – I found the perfect dupe.

Sweater

Jeans

Boston Birkenstocks Dupe

1. Skirts and Tights

This outfit is most intimidating to me for a few reasons. One being that though I love to look nice on my favorite holiday, I truly value comfort. And two, I think back to my middle school days when I wore the brown button-up skirt I mentioned earlier, to death. But do not fear, there is a new trendy way to style your skirt this season. What’s trending right now is wearing an oversized sweater over a black mini-skirt. Pair it with sheer black tights, some boots or Mary Jane’s, frilly socks and you are set. Now I hate to throw just another sweater into the mix, but I am just following the autumnal trends. To hit the nail on the head, I’ll link the iconic Rory Gilmore sweater that would be perfect for this look. A way to make this look your own would be to try a pattern tight like these

Rory Gilmore Sweater

Mini Skirt

Mary Janes

Tights

Frilly Socks

There you have it. I would consider all of these outfits to be appropriate for the holidays (maybe just double-check your mini skirt). I want to point out that you can mix and match almost every element from each of these outfits listed or simply take inspiration to create a look that feels authentic to you.

Happy Thanksgiving! You won’t only be eating turkey, but your outfit too!

XO, Christina

Christina Silvestri is a contributing writer at Her Campus’s Fairfield Chapter. Her specialties lie in entertainment, mental health, and Fairfield recommendations. Christina is a current junior at Fairfield University. She is an English major with a concentration in English Studies with minors in Editing & Publishing and Italian. This summer, Christina interned at The McClatchy Company where she worked closely with the audio team on projects relating to politics, athletics, and true crime. Her day to day responsibilities included editing podcasts, researching guests, designing social media content, and additional journalistic tasks. In addition to writing, Christina enjoys reading, listening to podcasts, and doing just about anything with her friends; from watching movies to morning coffee runs. You will often find her trying out new hobbies like watercolor painting and knitting to keep her hands busy while she rewatches Gilmore Girls for the hundredth time. Christina also has an entertainment podcast fittingly called Entertain Us, which is available on Spotify.