Wellness

Baked by Melissa – all her impromptu salads and salad dressings, great for dorms and on the go meals! 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

I am a fan of the Tully as much as the next person, but sometimes I want to switch it up from the chicken tenders. Salads are an easy way to do this because I can make multiple at once and eat them throughout the week. Lucky for us, the master of cupcakes, Melissa Ben Ishay – the owner of Baked by Melissa, also posts salad recipes on her blog. These recipes are great to eat in your dorm or to bring on the go when you have a busy day of classes and studying. 

You can never go wrong with a classic. The Classic Chopped Salad is a great choice because it contains ingredients that don’t need to be cooked, but still contains protein. The salad is then paired with a vinaigrette that can be stored in the fridge for future salads. 

Ingredients for The Classic Chopt Salad:

• 2 romaine heads
  • 1 ball fresh mozzarella
  • 1 red bell pepper 
  • 1 cup Castelvetrano olives
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 4-6 slices salami

For the miso vinaigrette

• 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 lemons, juiced 
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup white miso paste
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 garlic cloves, grated with a microplane
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

The Greek Goddess Salad is the perfect salad to get you in the mood for summer and the dressing that Melissa paired with it is the same one as The Classic Chopt Salad, so there is less preparation. 

Ingredients for Greek Goddess Salad

• 2 heads romaine, finely chopped
  • 4 Persian cucumbers, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped Kalamata olives
  • 1 can dolmas
  • ¼ cup Feta
  • 1 teaspoon za’atar, to garnish

You really can not go wrong with either of these salads, as they are the perfect choice. Salads are great because you can substitute any of the ingredients for ones that you enjoy!

XO Olivia

Olivia Sperduto is a writer and on the social media team for Her Campus at Fairfield University. She mainly writes about fashion, but has covered additional categories such as food and pop culture. In addition to writing she also helps the social media team curate posts for the Instagram page, brainstorm ideas in order to boost engagement on various social media platforms, and designs instagram stories highlighting the weekly articles. Beyond Her Campus, Olivia is a part of Stags in the Stands Marketing team, where she creates instagram stories to encourage attendance at athletic events. She is also a general member of Women in Business, and Marketing Club at Fairfield University. She is currently in her second year at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in International Business and Marketing. Off campus she works for a Fairfield based Marketing Consulting Firm where she works on a variety of different projects including video editing, website redesign, and podcast development. In her free time, Olivia loves to exercise and go on walks. In the summer she spends a majority of her time at the Jersey Shore going to the beach and spending time with her Dog, Chelsea. She loves to read, mainly fiction novels.