david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Get Into The Spooky Spirit if You’re Scared of Being Scared

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Fall is currently in full swing and Halloween is quickly approaching (we’re totally counting down the days)!

But while some scream for haunted houses and terrifying movies, others cannot handle the scares that come with the holiday. Here are our favorite ways to get into the Halloween spirit when you’re scared of being spooked!

1. Pumpkin Carving

Is there anything more classic? Grab a couple friends and get your DIY on! Whether you want to carve a jack-o-lantern, or paint a funny face, pumpkin decorating is a great fall activity! Check to see if your dorm has a pumpkin program one night, or head to a local pumpkin patch to pick some up yourself. Plus, the pumpkins will look super cute as a decoration outside your dorm!

2. Decorate Your Dorm

It’s easy to get in the spirit when you’re surrounded by super cute décor. Cover your dorm in pumpkins and cobwebs, and use colors, like orange, black, and purple to give it that ~Halloween vibe~! Try decorating your door so everyone in your hall can see how spirited you are!

3. Watch Movies

Some scary movies can be a little too, well, scary. So, try some more lowkey movies, like Halloweentown or Hocus Pocus! Not only are they classics, but they’re total TBTs! Grab some friends, make some popcorn, and have a not-so-scary movie marathon!

4. DIY Snacks

Who doesn’t love a treat on Halloween? Make some adorable snacks for you and your friends to devour in seconds. Definitely check out your dorm’s kitchen, or if you have your own townhouse, even better! Try some of these yummy and festive treats!

5. Hayride

Head to a nearby farm with your roomies for the perfect activity on a gorgeous fall afternoon. You can even pick out apples and pumpkins to bring back to campus. Not only is it fun, but you can totally have a fall-themed photoshoot (hello, cute Insta anyone?!).

6. Dress Up and Go Out

Halloweekend is a total college tradition. Getting all dressed up and heading up to the townhouses is a great way to spend your weekend – just be safe! Try out some trendy makeup looks or adorable group costumes this year! Be sure to tag #hcfuboo in your Insta posts to enter our costume competition!

7. Candy Coma

Go back to your child-like ways and pig out on your favorite candy with your friends. Fill some cute containers with candy of your choosing for your friends to come by and snack on (or keep it for yourself!). It’s like trick-or-treating all over again!

Happy Halloween, Stags!

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com