5 Ways To Reinvent Yourself Before Next Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Most of us start the semester in the same way: refreshed, put together, and ready to tackle whatever the new semester has waiting for us. This mindset usually holds up for the first week or two, but after that, your motivation packs its bags for the next vacation much earlier than intended.

At this point, you may think all hope is lost. When you think your grades and sleep cycle are way beyond repair, there is a solution.

Get Off Campus The best way to get your motivation back is by removing yourself from the stressful situation. Get off campus by yourself. Whether you need to spend a day at the mall, or maybe a weekend at home, you are definitely in need of a recharging experience. You need time to be alone with yourself and identify the priority of your health and future goals. Whatever relaxing activity you particularly like to engage in, do it. Everyone needs a break every once and awhile.

Sleep More Even though it seems like the “norm” of being in college is being sleep deprived, this is not always the case. Most of us do not perform at our best with inadequate rest. Even though it may seem like you NEED to be up until 3 am to finish your paper, try prioritizing your sleep. Maybe you need to start the paper earlier, or go to bed earlier in order to wake up earlier and finish. If you don’t think there is anyway possible you can go to bed before 1 am, try some melatonin, a natural sleep aid that doesn’t leave you groggy in the morning.

Reach Out If you realize your grades are slipping, the best way to get reacquainted with the material is to go to your professor’s office hours. Most professors want to help their students succeed.

Drop Something It’s just not possible to be the best at everything. If you need to drop a club, sport, or even move the due date of an assignment, do so. Even though we all want to be jacks of all trades, your mental health and relaxation time is just as important.

Exercise I know that everyone suggests working out to improve a bad mood. Even if you think this does not apply to you, it may be because you’re doing the wrong type of exercise. If you’re not someone who likes to mindlessly use the elliptical, don’t force yourself. Instead, try signing up for an exercise class you’ve never tried before. Who knows, you could find your new favorite hobby just by taking a chance. Exercising is also a great way to get relieve stress.

As much as you may think that you’ve dug yourself a hole way too deep, there’s always a way to climb out. It’s never too late to reinvent yourself, especially on a campus with a plethora or resources to help you out. 

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant