neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things to Remember If You Haven’t Yet Secured an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

For college students, summers aren’t just for relaxing at the beach. Instead, the career hunt starts as students across the country begin their search for their dream internship. It can be pretty tough to find the right internship for you, and sometimes the hunt can feel like it’s a never ending process. Sometimes, it can feel like the end of the world when all your friends have exciting internships and you haven’t found one yet. Here are our best tips on how to handle the struggle of finding an internship this summer:

1. Breathe

Remain calm! Take deep breaths and chill out for a bit. This is not the end of the world! Just because you haven’t gotten an internship yet doesn’t mean your search is over. Nothing should stop the girl boss inside of you from continuing to try to find an internship for the summer.

2. Reach out to new people

You never know who might have a connection to land you your dream internship. It is important to reach out to as many people as you can. Networking is a huge part of getting a great internship, so try contacting as many people you can to ask about their experience/connections!

3. Expand your search

One of the reasons you may not have found an internship yet is because your search is too narrow. Try widening the area you’re searching for! The longer commute could be worth the perfect internship! Try looking at brands you’d never searched for; they could have openings in the industry you’re looking for. If you broaden your search you’re bound to find something that sparks your interest.

4. Ask for advice

You’re not alone in this process! Reach out to friends and family to see if there’s any way they can help you. Try an older sibling or cousin, your parents, upperclassmen at school, or even friends from part-time jobs. Use one of the career counselors at your school – they are they to help you in this process! There are so many resources around you, so you just need to ask the right people!

5. Don’t take it as failure

Your world is not over just because you haven’t secured an internship yet! Your life isn’t over and you’re not going to be unemployed forever. This is just a bump in the road that you need to push through. Keep up the positive spirits, good energy, and keep searching!

Good luck, Stags!

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com