Wellness

5 Songs Guaranteed to Boost your Mood and Energy 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

I want to take this as an opportunity to reintroduce you to artists that you know, but might not think about. This isn’t me trying to be quirky and say that I only listen to artists with 50 monthly listeners or less on Spotify. I’ve been told I have “old man” tastes when it comes to music, and I think my choices reflect that. I love music, so much I even have my own music show on Fairfield’s radio station, WVOF. This felt like making a mini script for my show, so I really enjoyed writing this. 

1. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic – The Police

From the band’s 1981 album Ghost in the Machine, the song is about a hopeless romantic who isn’t quite sure how to talk to the girl he likes. It’s a cute ditty, and I find it to be an instant mood booster, due to the melody of the piano and the synthesizers. 

1. If I Can’t Have You – Yvonne Elliman

If you want a song that has a 70s vibe, look no further than “If I Can’t Have You” by Yvonne Elliman. If you’ve seen the movie Saturday Night Fever, this song will sound familiar to you, since it was often shown playing at the disco. This song was my song of the summer last summer, I listened to it all the time, and it made my Spotify Top 10 for 2022.

1. Modern Love – David Bowie

I absolutely LOVE this song. Fun fact: this song was produced by Nile Rodgers, who was in the band Chic in the 70s. You’ve definitely heard of them- think: “Ah, freak out! Le freak, c’est chic”. Nile Rodgers has worked with so many artists, such as Madonna, Daddy Yankee, Pitbull and Christina Aguilera, and Duran Duran. Any song he works on becomes amazing, in my opinion.  

1. Here Comes the Sun – The Beatles

I love The Beatles, I was obsessed with them in high school. My favorite Beatle, George Harrison, wrote and sang this song! This song was not a single for the band’s 1969 album Abbey Road, but I would argue that it is as popular as the singles for this album, “Something” and “Come Together”. This is a perfect summer song. 

1. Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen

Lastly, I think I have to go with a classic. “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen is one of my favorites. I used to love to dance around to it as a little kid. This song is an instant mood booster, it’s impossible to listen to it and not smile. This song comes from Queen’s album Jazz, which features Bicycle Race and Fat Bottomed Girls in addition to this song. You can’t go wrong with those songs either. 

I hope you take a chance to listen and enjoy these songs as much as I do, they are guaranteed to boost your mood!

XO, 

Erin

Erin Delaney

Fairfield '24

Erin Delaney is a senior at Fairfield University, where she majors in English and History, with minors in Irish and Catholic Studies. She has a show on Fairfield University's radio station, WVOF, where she plays her favorite classic alternative and rock songs from the 60s-90s. She loves to read, drink iced coffee, write, and watch unhealthy amounts of Netflix. She is happy to be back writing for HerCampus.