free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

4 Tips to Find Your Perfect Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

As the semester is quickly approaching, many college students are starting to think about spring semester and summer internships. Internships are a great way to gain real-world experience that you cannot get in the classroom. The application process is competitive, but through my experiences at quite a few different firms, I have collected some tips and tricks along the way:  

1.Network. Sometimes it’s more about who you know than what you know! If a recruiter is looking through a multitude of applications with similar credentials, a personal connection with someone could be the distinguishing factor. Talk to professors and alumni on campus, in classes, or at club/career center events to get your name out there and discuss what you’re looking for. If you make a good impression, your name will stick with these people. Additionally, utilize the power of ~LinkedIn~ to connect with individuals currently in the position you are interested in. That way, you get a better sense of the role and show your genuine interest, regardless of whether or not they have open positions. 

2.Make an appointment with the career center. The career center at Fairfield has many resources available to help with reviewing resumes and cover letters, mock interviews, and personal career advice. Another set of eyes is always useful, especially when they have a load of experiences and have worked with many other students, just like you going through the same application processes. 

3.Use Stags4Hire/Handshake. This platform posts jobs and internships and allows you to use filters particular to what kind of opportunity you’re looking for. At the end of the job posting, it will display previous students that have worked at the organization, and you can message them and ask about their experiences. You can also update your profile with experiences, course highlights, and other information you deem fit to attract potential employers. This platform serves as a good way to stay connected to the community and provides a broad scope of opportunities based on your criteria. 

4.Enroll in Sophomore Success. For those of you who still have the chance, take advantage of Sophomore Success offered at Fairfield. There is a session once a week for an hour and a half led by someone from the academic career & development center, so it’s not a huge time commitment. You will learn everything you need to know—from building a resume, a cover letter, and a LinkedIn profile to interview attire and interview questions; you will be a pro and ready to be a competitive applicant for any opportunity by the end of the semester! 

Best of luck with navigating the internship search, Collegiettes!

I am from Long Island, New York. I currently attend Fairfield University and I am pursuing a major in Finance and minors in Mathematics and Economics. 
Katie Mazzotta

Fairfield '21

Katie Mazzotta, from Massachusetts, studies marketing and finance at Fairfield University. She is the campus correspondent for Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Her creativity and marketing skills provide a beneficial influence on the chapter's event planning and social media accounts. In her free time, she loves the beach and spending time with friends and family.