A Single Girl’s Guide to Dating As Told by Jane Villanueva

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Listen to this while you are reading: JANE’S LOVE THEME

If you are reading this then you must be a giant Jane the Virgin fan like myself. I, for one, am ecstatic and very impatient to wait for the fourth season of this CW TV series. Season three left viewers angry, full of tears, filled with suspense, and full of love and awe of all of the twists and turns that is Jane Villanueva’s life. It would be a lie to say that Jane’s story is not crazy, but there are a lot of raw emotions and relatable feelings and scenes that fill this series and leaves viewers wanting more. It’s no surprise that Jane the Virgin is one of the network’s favorite TV shows. Like I mentioned earlier, season three was full of surprises, leaving viewers in need of emotional support and comfort at the end of every episode – especially AND ESPECIALLY the final episode of the season. After the tragic event that occurred in Jane’s life, viewers were able to catch a glimpse of how our heroine handled life as a single lady – something that some of us can relate to. Nonetheless, I was not disappointed to see all of the lessons that Jane has taught us about the single life. In case you missed it, here are four tips to being a girl that the Villanueva family has taught us.

#1: Be Honest About What You Want

Let’s reminisce on Jane’s relationship with hottie telenovela star Fabian. Sometimes new is hard, especially if you are starting to be comfortable with being in the dating game. However, it’s important to know what you want, what you’re comfortable with, and what you’re looking for. Like Jane, if you’re seriously only looking for a fling, be honest and make sure that you establish an understanding between the two of you. However, love is going to be a hit a miss, so make sure that you know what you want and don’t be afraid to get it. (Gif courtesy of giphy.com)

#2: Don’t Feel Pressured to Date, You’ll Get There When You’re Ready

*SPOILER* After the tragic loss of Michael’s death, Jane finally realized that she was ready to date. Don’t feel pressured to date someone or to be in a relationship. You don’t have to start dating if you’re not ready or simply don’t want to. Being single rocks! There’s no rush to be in a relationship, and Jane showed us all that the time will come and just like everything else, dating is a process and you should be ready for when the time comes. (Gif courtesy of Popsugar)

#3: Love Will Come at Unexpected Turns

Love finds itself in unexpected turns so don’t close yourself off. Be open-minded and open to new possibilities. After all, look at Chuck and Petra. Yes, they definitely have their ups and downs and own sense of problems, but no one would have thought that they would get together. (Image courtesy of Wikia.com)

#4: Relationships Take Work

Relationships are work! Just look at Xiomara’s and Rogelio’s life to uncover that lesson. I think that Jane said it best in her ceremony speech during Xo’s and Ro’s wedding: they weren’t each other’s destiny but they chose each other, time and time again. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t believe in a happily ever after or in destiny, but know that relationships are going to take work. Being in a relationship with someone is going to be different than being single because, as obvious as it is, you’re in a completely different commitment to someone. (Gif courtesy of giphy.com)

At the end of the day, your relationship status doesn’t mean anything. Just do you and be happy with yourself. HCXO!

Gif courtesy of giphy.com

Cover image courtesy of Pinterest

Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.