This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Are you for or against sororities? There has been a lot of debate about Greek life as a whole within the country in light of recent news. “Should we or shouldn’t we” questions about going through sorority recruitment has been a top question that newly admitted college students have thought about. In this article, we hope to provide you with a few reasons on the perks of being a sorority woman, especially here at F&M.

#1. Friends, Sisters, Connections

Joining a sorority exposes you to multiple opportunities of expanding your network. Not only will you meet new people within your own organization, being a sorority woman also makes you automatically a part of the Fraternity & Sorority Life community, as well as the Panhellenic environment. Being a sorority woman allows you to make lasting friendships (#sisterhood) while also networking with alumnae and all of the people who you will come in contact with.

#2. Leadership Opportunities

If you are looking for leadership opportunities within your college career, then you might want to consider joining a sorority. There are a lot of opportunities for you to hold officer and executive positions within sorority organizations. Through this, you’ll be able to network with Nationals as well as serve as liaisons between your organization and other communities such as Administration and maybe even other campus organizations. This is beneficial to giving you experience and helping you learn skills that will become important to you as you start your career.

#3. A Whole New Experience

The fraternity and sorority life community is a different type of environment compared to the college experience as a whole. As a sorority woman, you will be exposed and integrated into a new experience. Sororities are definitely a great addition to your college experience. There are so many perks to being a sorority woman – what better way to enrich your experience than with sorority life?

Images courtesy of:

1. Chapman University

2. Alpha Sigma Alpha

3. Southern Living

Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.