This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

This week we are collaborating with Her Campus at Millersville to promote women’s health and self-care. Here is an article written by one of their campus correspondents!

We’ve tried it all – heating pads, painkillers, binging rom-coms and eating chocolate until you cry so much you can’t cry anymore. Doctors may have prescribed you pain meds for severe cramping and discomfort, but who likes taking pills all day? Here are some home remedies that you may not have heard of that work!

Exercise

I know. The absolute last thing you want to do on your period is work out or go for walk. But a lot of studies show that regular exercise really does help to manage period pain and the emotional swings that come with it.

Get some Vitamin D

This is more of a preventive remedy, but it works! According to Medical Daily, studies found that high doses of vitamin D3 led to a significant decrease in menstrual cramps.

Go on birth control

It’s not just for stopping pregnancy. Birth control offers hundreds of benefits for women, and one of them is reducing severe pain and heavy flows in periods.

Take a laxative

Mild laxatives take some pressure off your uterus after a bowel movement.

Do some yoga

There are a variety of stretches and positions in yoga known to help ease the pains and regulate your mood.

Orgasm

You might be cringing, but studies show that there are many benefits to making whoopie… and feeling whoopie. Not only does orgasming help you sleep better, give you great skin, relieve stress, and boost your immune system, it can help your period symptoms too.

Carlee Nilphai

Millersville '19

Carlee is a Millersville University graduate with a BA in Print Journalism and a double minor in Music and Theatre. Her favorite topics to write about involve career, environmental issues, pop culture, budgeting hacks, and Taylor Swift. Carlee lives in Lancaster, PA and has a corgi named Alan.
Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.