How to Conquer the New Year’s Resolution List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

2019 is finally here and as the saying goes, a new year means a new you

But despite all of the cliche sayings, what exactly does that mean? Every year, people spend the first few days of a new year (or even a few days before) to create their New Year’s resolution list. However, do people actually go through with it? And just how successful is a New Year’s resolution? If you’re looking to improve and change your life around, here are some tips on how you can make a killer New Year’s resolution list that you might actually follow.

Tip #1: Reflect

Before writing down your resolution list, really reflect on the previous year and what things you want to change in the new year. This means thinking about what you are grateful for, what went well in 2018 as well as what didn’t go well. You can’t move on until you have fully reflected upon why doing so is important.

Tip #2: Write it down!

There’s something about writing things down that just seems to help people remember and really think through things. Once you start writing down all of your thoughts, it will be easier to process everything and really think about what you want to include in your list.

Tip #3: Be honest and realistic

One of the main reasons why people don’t usually go through with their New Year’s resolution is because their goals aren’t realistic or honest. Think about it – if you really want to change something, you have to start by being honest with what those things are. Making your list realistic will also help break down your goal into something that you can measure. Breaking things up into smaller chunks will help you process everything better, thus making it more likely for you to cross off that list at the end of the year!

Good luck in 2019!

All gifs are from Giphy

Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.