Best Teas to Soothe Your Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

We all experience stress at different times; particularly this week in the wake of the election and the various reactions it has elicited. So, whatever reason you’re feeling stressed out, here are some teas that can help soothe your nerves. Tea is a great natural remedy to help with anxiety and is healthy for you as well; much healthier than coffee! Different types of tea can have different health benefits, but here are a few that are relied upon to help with anxiety.

Lavender Tea

Lavender is incredibly popular right now, whether used in scents, as an essential oil, to place in clothing drawers, or as tea, people love lavender. It’s thought to reduce anxiety in women and also act as an anti-inflammatory, which will help soothe you even more.

Chamomile Tea

This type of tea is probably the most well known for calming you down, because it’s often recommended for when you can’t sleep. It’s what everyone suggests you turn to for relaxation and you can even mix it with another tea (like lavender) to maximize the soothing effects. It has similar health side effects as green tea, but with the added bonus of reducing anxiety.

Valerian Root Tea

All the way back to the fourth century, this tea was recommended as a solution to insomnia, but now we’re more focused on the effects it has on anxiety. Like all the other teas I’ve listed, it’s caffeine-free and soothing.

Passionflower Tea

Passionflower has been used as a commercial medication to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder. There can be side effects with this medicine, so the advice is to try the tea and stick to that if it works for you. While this is a great tea to calm you, it should be avoided if you’re pregnant.

I attend Franklin & Marshall College and am the campus correspondent of the Her Campus chapter here. I also play flute with the Pep Band and Symphonic Wind Ensemble. I am an editor for the Patsy Post, am involved with F&M Unleashed, a member of Mu Upsilon Sigma, and a Brother of Phi Sigma Pi, a co-ed honors fraternity.