harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Ways to Relieve Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Stress. That terrible feeling when you are so overwhelmed with events happening in your life that you feel like you don’t have a spare moment to just relax, watch Netflix, and breathe. Stay strong! Spring break is only 2 weeks away. In the meantime, here are 10 tips to lower your stress level during midterms:

1.     Exercise

It’s been scientifically proven that exercise releases endorphins in your brain, automatically making you happier. Instead of sitting in Shad all day and slowly withering away, go for a run, a walk around campus, do some jumping jacks, or practice deep breathing with some yoga. This will give your brain a break from cramming a bunch of information into it, and you’ll feel rejuvenated and more motivated to keep on trucking. 

2.     Eat healthy

Another way to relieve stress is by fueling your body with healthy nutrients to keep it functioning properly. This way, you’ll be getting the proper vitamins to improve your immune system and to prevent crashing and burning. This means eating less of that addicting junk food and eating more fruits, vegetables, and protein. Sugar highs may be fun while they last, but once you crash, you’ll end up feeling more tired and more drained than you did before. 

3.    Listen to music

If you’re feeling extremely overwhelmed and stressed, a good way to take a break is by listening to music. It will release tension, make you feel relaxed, and it will force you to stop what you’re doing and just breathe. 

4.     Laugh with friends

Laughter, and even just smiling, instantly makes you feel happier and puts you in a more positive mood. Being in good company will make you momentarily forget how stressed you were feeling beforehand, and you’ll be reminded of how supported and loved you are. Remember: you’re not alone! So many people during this time of year are feeling stressed, so by hanging out with your friends, watching some funny videos on YouTube, or just being goofy, you’ll be positively affecting everyone’s mood, including your own. 

5.     Coloring

Adult coloring books have proved to be extremely effective in reducing stress, relaxing the mind, and increasing productivity. Coloring takes your mind off of the next essay you have to write or the exam coming up that you need to study for. It’s a mindless activity that allows you to relax and reminisce about your childhood, a time where homework did not exist. 

6.     Get more sleep

Improving your sleeping habits will dramatically lower your stress levels. With more sleep, you’ll feel happier, more productive, and refreshed. Try to take a few catnaps between classes, and go to bed 20 minutes earlier. Also, try to do something relaxing before you go to sleep. By getting more sleep, you’ll be more capable of being productive during the day. 

7.     Make a To-Do List

A great way to feel less overwhelmed is to organize what you have to do so you can manage your time better. By making a to-do list, you’ll feel more motivated to get your work done, and you’ll be able to plan out what you should complete each day. Plus, it’s extremely satisfying to cross out items on your to-do list after you do them; it makes you feel so accomplished and productive. 

8.     Spend time outside

Even though it might be tempting to lock yourself in the library to finish all of your work, take a few breaks by walking around campus! The sunlight will make you feel happier, and the fresh air will help clear your mind. 

9.     Treat yo’ self

In the words of Tom and Donna from Parks and Recreation, “Treat yo’ self.” Take a break from your homework by doing something that you love. Play some soccer, eat a piece of cake, or watch your favorite movie on Netflix; whatever makes you happy! This will give you time to de-stress, leaving you feeling relaxed and ready to be more productive. 

10.     Be positive

If you’re feeling stressed and overwhelmed, don’t get down on yourself! Instead of thinking thoughts like, “I can’t do this,” think to yourself, “I’m capable and I will get through this.” By thinking positively, you’ll be able to alter your mindset, and you’ll feel less overwhelmed as a result. 

Stay positive F&M! We can do this!! 

Karolina Heleno is a student at Franklin and Marshall College majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. She currently serves as the Communications Intern with the YWCA of Lancaster.