Your Summer Capsule Wardrobe: Sorted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s the daily struggle for women everywhere: ‘What to wear today?’ A question that’s made all the more difficult as summer approaches and a snuggly jumper and jeans will no longer suffice. However, if you’re on a strict student budget and cannot afford to fill your wardrobe with unlimited clothing options then don’t fear – HCX has compiled a list of items that you need to create the ultimate capsule wardrobe for summer. By mixing just a few key items you can have several outfits for both day and night, whilst cheaper accessories can provide you with yet more looks.

The Blazer

If you’re going to invest in one item this summer then make it a blazer. From transforming a summer dress into a chic evening look, to pairing with jeans and sandals on a cooler day, blazers can be incorporated into many different outfits. If you love this season’s bright prints then a muted colour blazer will compliment them perfectly, but if your wardrobe is generally more neutral then add a splash of colour with a bright or patterned one. We love Zara’s popping yellow blazer and Mango’s striped one.

The Dresses

Every girl knows that dresses are a summer staple. They’re wonderful during the day, worn simply with sandals, and gorgeous at night with a chic blazer and lots of jewellery. Bodycon, shift, shirt, maxi, midi, and pinafore, there’s an almost endless selection of styles to choose from this season. You can allow yourself to go for what you feel most comfortable in though, as it’s the patterns and prints that really make the dresses this season must-haves.

The SS13 catwalks featured all manner of trends, from blue and white stripes at Moschino to Kenzo’s daring turquoise and orange leopard print. Whilst garish animal print may not quite be what you’re looking for, try to be bold in your choices as prints and patterns provide an excellent opportunity to express your personality. We’d also recommend buying a more neutral coloured dress because it suits every occasion – if you love colour then brighten it up using accessories. 

The Playsuit

Summer’s alternative to the cosy onesie, playsuits are once again bang on trend this year – a short printed one is great for daytime and can be worn with sandals or hi-tops. ASOS’s tribal print playsuit would not only look gorgeous during the day, but by adding chunky jewellery and heels it could easily take you into the evening too. Topshop’s Aztec all-in-one is another stylish option and perfect if you want your legs to be covered.  

Jeans and Patterned Trousers

A style staple at any time of the year, a pair of jeans is a wonderfully versatile addition to a summer wardrobe. Read HCX’s article about the hottest denim trends this summer to find out more. http://www.hercampus.com/school/exeter/springsummer-denim-hottest-trends If jeans aren’t really your thing, or you can afford to splash out, then patterned trousers are a super stylish alternative. Slightly comfier than jeans, a pair of these will look amazing at the centre of your outfit, worn with a plain top and sandals. 

Shorts and Skirts

Both of these are great for mixing up with different items to create numerous outfits. When you think of summer, you think of shorts, and both Topshop and Zara have some great pairs this season. Denim shorts teamed with a printed top, or if you’re daring, a contrasting denim shirt, make a simple summer outfit, whilst adding a blouse and blazer will create an elegant evening look. A skirt is another way to experiment with prints, and various lengths and styles mean that you can find the perfect one for you. Our favourite is this super-cute kissing giraffes one from Topshop – paired with a simple vest or T-shirt, it will make a chic and on-trend outfit.

The Tops

Having two or three different tops to choose from will allow you to create more outfits in a less expensive way. The great thing about summer is that a T-shirt or sleeveless top is both a brilliant accompaniment for skirts and shorts during the day, and a pair of skinny jeans or patterned trousers in the evening. We think that H! by Henry Holland’s navy daisy collar top is a perfect summer purchase that would work well with so many different items. An evening top is also a great way to experiment with prints as it can easily be worn with simple skinnies – boohoo’s cap sleeve peplum top features a bright tropical print that will certainly make you stand out in the crowd! 

So there you have it – everything you need to be the ultimate fashionista this summer!

Picture credits:

zara.com; topshop.com; asos.com; debenhams.com; boohoo.com

Book, Perfume and Beauty - NEWS & REVIEWS at: http://pagesandperfume.wordpress.com/