Spring/Summer Denim: The Hottest Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Versatile, classic and highly wearable: denim is the ultimate wardrobe staple for all seasons. With summer just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to update your wardrobe with some of the latest denim trends. From shirts to playsuits – we’ve selected some of the best and most versatile denim items which will see you through the summer looking on trend.    

Shorts
Denim shorts are an essential for any summer wardrobe and can be easily dressed up or down with minimal effort.
These light denim high waist shorts from Zara are perfect for pairing with a pretty blouse and sandals or wedges for a sophisticated day look. They are also great for teaming with a summery tee and flip flops for a more casual look.

Acid wash denim is a key trend this summer, and it can add a quirky edge to your denim collection. These acid wash hotpants from Topshop work well with a neutral t-shirt or vest and a pair of hi tops for an androgynous take on a classic summer outfit.

Playsuits
A denim playsuit is a fun and feminine addition to any summer wardrobe, adding a touch of retro appeal to your look as well as being super comfortable and versatile. This playsuit from ASOS also incorporates this summer’s trend for tie dye – perfect!

[pagebreak]

Jeans
No wardrobe would be complete without the perfect pair (or two) of jeans. Investing in a light colour pair for the day and darker wash for the evening means you will always have a go-to item for whatever the unpredictable summer weather throws at you.We think these bleached wash jeans from H! by Henry Holland are a great choice which will pair well with a cute pair of trainers for a more relaxed look.

For a more dressed up feel for the evening, you can’t go wrong with a pair of skinny fit dark jeans from Topshop which look on trend for this season with a print blouse and pair of gladiator sandals.

Shirts
To really work the denim trend this summer, a boyfriend style denim shirt is a key item and provides a refreshing alternative to the classic summer blouse.
We love this printed chambray shirt from Zara – its versatile colour means it will be ideal for rocking the double denim look.

[pagebreak]

Accessories
Incorporating denim into your accessories is surprisingly easy and can give your outfit an instant update. This rich denim colour snood from Topshop is brilliant for those milder days at the beach and features a geometric pattern that is right on trend for Spring/Summer 2013.
A denim accessory you might not have considered is nail varnish! nails inc. have just launched their denim effect nail polish, which comes with a stud embellishment kit – perfect for completing a quirky denim look. If you’re looking to try a denim style polish but don’t want to spend a lot, then Rimmel London’s lasting finish nail varnish in ‘Azure’ will also complement any denim outfit and add that all important finishing touch.      

Picture credits:
zara.com
topshop.com
asos.com
debenhams.com
pagesandperfume.wordpress.com

I also blog and review books, perfume and make-up @ www.pagesandperfume.wordpress.com