Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What Your Favourite Valentine’s Gifts Say About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I am undertaking the difficult task of analysing what your favourite Valentine’s gifts say about you as a lover. I am hoping to highlight how sentimental or romantic you truly are. These judgements are only based on my assumptions; you will have to decide whether you think they are accurate or not. Here are the top five gifts and my opinions on what they say about you as a lover:

The Classic card

The classic card says a lot about you if it’s your favourite. It means you are a sentimental lover and your love language is definitely words of affirmation. Valentine’s cards are the pinnacle of affection, in my eyes at least. Nothing is more personal than a well-written card expressing how much someone loves you. I think those words could be the gift of all gifts, as no object will ever be able to better represent somebody’s love.

red roses (or any flowers)

I would say that flowers being your favourite Valentine’s gift similarly shows you are a sentimental lover, but also that you are a hopeless romantic. You enjoy the classics. You tend to watch The Notebook on Valentine’s because no other romance film will live up to it. You aren’t into big gifts; you like small tokens of affection that make you feel noticed and appreciated, and that’s why flowers are the perfect Valentine’s gift for you.

Chocolates and/or perfume

A box of chocolates or perfume means you like to test your lover. You enjoy classic displays of affection as well as small but frequent gifts. You think someone’s choice of chocolates or perfume says a lot about them, and if your lover really and truly knows you, they will know exactly what treat or scent you like to indulge in. If anything, you might think that chocolates or perfume say more about your partner than yourself, as it tests how much they pay attention to you. That is more valuable to you than anything.

foodie date night

A restaurant or cocktail date says you love to be spoiled by your lover. Your love language is quality time. You enjoy dates because there are no distractions, just time to talk and bond. Equally, you want to be treated, and a paid-for dinner or drinks shows that your lover knows you enjoy your time together and loves to treat you. You don’t expect a dinner as a regular excursion, but when you receive this gift, you thoroughly enjoy it.

Balloons

If balloons are your favourite Valentine’s gift, it means you love to tell people you’re in a relationship. You are proud to have a Valentine and be a Valentine. You tend to post your gifts on Instagram and Snapchat. You sometimes take part in (potentially) a little too much PDA. You like to set an example of what love should look and be like to your friends and constantly give relationship advice. You know what love should be in its purest form, and through bold displays of affection, you feel your lover does too.

These are the top five big and small gifts I could think of. Again, these are my opinions and judgements and may not represent you at all. I just wish anyone reading this Valentine’s Day is happy and hopefully in love or will be soon!

BA Politics and Study Abroad student at the University of Exeter. I have a passion for journalism and wild swimming!