Valentine’s Date Night at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, it seems like the right time to decide how you plan on celebrating with your SO! But who says you can’t have a date-night from the comfort of your own home? Here are my nine favourite indoor date nights for those of you who fancy a more cosy, private evening.

Homemade cocktails

Ever fancied trying to make your own cocktails that would rival those at Monkey Suit? Why not make a night of it? Get out your sprits and mixers and start shaking! You could always turn it into a competition with points being awarded for creativity, taste and appearance. Alternatively, why not gift your SO a cocktail making kit (like those from The Cocktail Society, The Cocktail Connoisseur and Cocktail Crates). It is the perfect activity before snuggling up on the sofa to binge-watch your favourite Netflix series.

Cook-off

Decide who is cooking each course and get to work making your delicious dishes. Not only does this give you an opportunity to demonstrate your cooking abilities (or not!) but it allows you to create the perfect dinner together. And if all else fails, remember there’s always Deliveroo!

Indoor picnic

Time to reach for your cosiest blankets and pillows, fairy lights and indoor plants to create a space perfect for an indoor picnic. The menu is completely up to you, but I would recommend cheese and biscuits, simple sandwiches, crisps, popcorn and (most importantly) lots of cake! Why not play your favourite music to top off the romantic mood?

Takeaway and Film Night

A classic date which is sure to help things get cosy with your SO.  Snuggle on the sofa with a Domino’s pizza and a bag of popcorn and put on your favourite feel-good film. If you fancy something a bit livelier then, pick a movie musical and turn it into a sing-along.

Games Night

With an infinite number of possibilities, a friendly games night is sure to unleash your competitive side. Whether it is a classic video game, cards, Jenga or Monopoly, game nights are the perfect way to bond with your partner and are guaranteed to keep you talking until the early hours of the morning.

Karaoke

Ever pictured yourselves as the next Jay-Z and Beyonce? Make that dream a reality with a karaoke night. This works perfectly either just with your SO or as a double date with couples competing against each other. And who said karaoke was just about singing? Why not complete the performance with some of your best dance moves? This is guaranteed to be a date full of laughter and fun.

PowerPoint Party

Both chose a topic and get to work on your PowerPoint. This is the perfect way to get to know each other and find out a little more about your SO’s guilty pleasures. The only rule is to include as many transitions, animations and effects as possible to bring back memories of old school computing lessons! This works fantastically for long-distance relationships as you can easily share your powerpoints with each other.

Get Creative

From painting to scrapbooking, get creative making your very own masterpiece. This can either be turned into a competition or you could work together to free your inner Van Gough! Getting arty together is the perfect way to remember old memories and create new ones.

Spa treatments

For a truly chilled-out evening, why not turn your bedroom into a spa?  You could make face mask, give each other massage, or even share a bath/shower. To complete the atmosphere, put on some relaxing music and reach for the candles and cucumber slices.

Hello! I'm a third-year history student studying at Exeter Uni, who loves reading, travelling, baking, acting and a variety of sports.