The Ultimate Post-Exam Pampering Session

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

What’s the first thing you’re going to do once you finish your exams? Do a victory lap of the forum? Head straight to the Ram? Or more likely, pass out from exhaustion?

Exam season is a stressful time for any girl and once it’s over it’s time to take care of yourself again! I’m willing to bet any kind of skincare routine has gone out the window in favour of early starts and late night cramming. Spending the last month staring at a computer screen in a dark corner of the library won’t have done your skin any favours either. Once you finish your exams, it’s time to restore some of your inner beauty – and inner calm!

The express facial at Space Hair and Beauty is the perfect way to do just that. It is forty five minutes of pure heaven, designed to cleanse and boost your skin whilst acting as the perfect pick-me-up after such a stressful exam period. I was lucky enough to be invited along to try it out. I stepped in to the salon exhausted and in need of some serious me-time. I left feeling completely refreshed and ready to take on the world – or at least a night out with the girls.

The facial is carried out high up in the eaves of the gorgeous old building which houses the salon, far removed from the hustle and bustle of the Cathedral green below. Essential oils and light massage techniques were used on my upper body and legs to completely relax me before the facial began. It was a lovely way to start the treatment and it meant that all of my stresses were completely forgotten, allowing me to get the full benefit of the restorative treatment.

The facial consists of four stages: a deep cleanse, an exfoliation, a mask, and finally a tone and moisturise. The products were applied using firm, massaging strokes to promote detoxification and boost the skin’s natural radiance. Each one was then wiped away using a hot towel, which was absolute bliss. My face felt like it was finally getting the cleansing attention it really needed, and with each stage I felt a little bit more human again.

The mask was accompanied with a gorgeous arm and hand massage, and by this point it was hard to tell if I was in Exeter or heaven! Each product smelt divine and had been selected especially for my skin type, meaning my skin was getting the full benefit of the facial. My stresses melted away and by the time I was revived with more essential oils and light massaging exercises I felt like a newer, calmer version of me. I left the salon feeling completely chilled out and restored. My skin had the kind of gorgeous inner glow which is impossible to fake, and several people noticed how smooth and even it looked. The hydration was the most noticeable aspect for me – I didn’t have to moisturise for several days after the treatment!

If you are feeling run down during your exams, or super stressed even though they are over, this is definitely the treatment for you. It provides you with some much-needed me time and really reduces the toxins in your skin, restoring it to its pre-library glory! Although it is tempting to hit the nearest bar once you have finished your university work, it is important to take some down-time to really unwind. You’ll be left feeling gorgeous, relaxed and ready to take on your first night of freedom!

The express facial costs £35, with student discount available on Mondays and Tuesdays. Call Space Salon on 01392 494 422 for more information or to book your facial