This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The term ‘superfood’ has been circulating since the early 90’s however, in recent years its appearance in our every day lives has been rapidly increasing. As a result, certain produce labeled as ‘superfoods’ have been creeping their way on to the shelves of our supermarkets, whether it be a bag of nuts or a pre-packaged salad from Marks & Spencer. However, the question on many of our lips is what produce in particular constitutes a ‘superfood’ status and why should we be eating them?

Superfoods do exactly what they say on the tin – they make us super! Not in the sense that we can expect to wake up one morning after eating some blueberries and suddenly be superhuman, however, they do shield our bodies and help us to defend ourselves against numerous illnesses. Superfoods are nutritional powerhouses that help build bones, improve your eyesight, help lower cholesterol and even reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer. After hearing all of this, who wouldn’t want to stock up on a lifetime supply? The main element that all superfoods have in common is that they are all unprocessed foods. By maintaining a healthy diet and incorporating a variety of superfoods in to your diet will help you fight diseases, aid with weight loss and just generally enable you to lead a better quality of life.

Although many foods will provide vital nutrients and minerals there are a number of superfoods that go beyond simple nutrition. The following is a list of just a few of the many superfoods that you can include in your diet:

Blueberries

Blueberries are probably the ultimate superfood. They are packed with vitamin C and antioxidants making them number one on Her Campus’ superfood list. Blueberries also contain the compound pterostilbene, which acts to protect the heart in the same way as cholesterol lowering drugs. Just 100g of blueberries contain the same amount of age-defying antioxidants as five servings of other fruit and vegetables. The antioxidants in blueberries help guard us against a range of cancers, asthma, arthritis and Alzheimer’s. It goes without saying that eating a handful of blueberries is not the cure for all diseases however; incorporating them into your diet keeps you on track for a healthy lifestyle. Why not try having them sprinkled on yogurt or porridge in the morning, or as a healthy snack whilst you’re studying in the library.

Spinach

So it turns out Popeye was definitely onto something whilst devouring all those many cans of spinach. Spinach is in fact one of the most nutritious foods around. One cup of this leafy green vegetable contains more than 20 different measurable nutrients, including dietary fiber, calcium and protein. Spinach also helps to prevent the harmful oxidation of cholesterol, thus promoting great cardiovascular health. In recent studies, Spinach has been found to help prevent both prostate and ovarian cancers. Last but not least, Spinach helps prevent the formation of cataracts in the eye – just like carrots that make us see in the dark – Spinach is extremely beneficial to eyesight.

Salmon

Of course all fish is a good source of protein and vitamins however, oily fish such as Salmon is rife with omega- fatty acids. Salmon has also been proven to aid depression and helps to reduce the risk of developing dementia in later life. What is also so great about salmon is that it is a very versatile fish and can be cooked in a variety of ways.

Tea

That’s right – the British favourite qualifies as a superfood! Not only does tea taste good but also it’s cheap, has no calories, makes us feel relaxed and is readily available. So there really is no excuse not to include more tea into our diets. Tea comes in so many varieties that there really is a tea out there for everyone. Tea lowers blood pressure, promotes heart health and helps to prevent sunlight damage to the skin. Who knew that this simple beverage had so many health benefits? So girls, it’s time to drink away the prospect of wrinkles with a nice relaxing cup of tea.

Apples

Have you ever heard of the saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away?” Well, it looks as if that could actually be true. Apples are a very powerful source of antioxidants as well as being a good source of fiber and potassium. The humble apple promotes healthy skin and gums, as well as being linked with lowering blood cholesterol levels and keeping the digestive system healthy. With only 47 calories in an average sized apple, there hasn’t been a more tempting snack. Her Campus loves to have a sliced apple with a small spoon of peanut butter on the side as a healthy and very delicious snack.

So, not only will all of these healthy options ensure that you are preventing disease and getting all the nutritional benefits from your food as you possibly can; they will also satisfy the taste buds, leaving you content and happy at the thought of such a healthy diet.

Image Credits: pinterest.com