The Romantic Valentine’s Day Travelling Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s approaching that time of year again, Valentines Day! Where love seems to engulf, each year, for the 14th February, we Brits spend around £503 million on cards, flowers, chocolates and other gifts for our other halves (or even potential halves). For those of you considering going away at this romantic time of year, here is the a list of the top three destinations which we at Her Campus Exeter feel are some of the most romantic, dreamy and ideal places to spend Valentines Day.

1) Paris: Known around the world as the most romantic city, Paris has it all with its picture perfect setting. It may be the predictable choice, but a staple for any Valentine’s travel.

Staying at: Hotel du Jeu de Paume

This prodigious four-star hotel is located in the heart of Paris, situated in the quaint Ile Saint Louis neighbourhood. This area is the perfect place for strolling hand-in-hand, enjoying leisurely dinners and kissing while overlooking the Seine River. Once a royal tennis court, this hotel combines the classic French style with modern artistic influences to create arguably the most romantic hotel in Paris. The suite (1 to 3 persons) ranges from around 450 to 560 Euros per night.

Travelling by: Yachts de Paris

If indulgence is the name of the game, the Yachts de Paris (either Mirage or the Don Juan II) is its epitome. This two hour dinner cruise offers a ‘refined’ dinner, champagne and desert for yourself and your partner whilst travelling down the Seine River observing all the lights of Paris at night. All for a delightful 349 Euros per person, pocket change!

Things to do:

Visit the Arc de Triomphe and have a grand tea complete with piano music and stunning flowers at the Hotel George V.

Walk around the Luxembourg Palace Gardens. With famous couples such as Napoleon and Josephine to Jean-Paul Sarte and Simone de Beauvior having visited the gardens, immerse yourself in its beauty.

Visit ‘Le Mur Des Je T’aime’, aka ‘The Wall of “I Love You’s,” which is in Paris’ 18th arrondissement. It was created by Frederic Baron and Claire Kito and has “I Love You,” written in 250 different languages. A perfect picture moment for your Valentine’s Day exploration around Paris.

Parc des Buttes Chaumont is unquestionably one of Paris’s most romantic areas with rolling cliffs, grottos, waterfalls and a lake. After the long hike up to the replica of Tivoli’s Temple of the Sybille, end with a kiss on a cliff overlooking the city’s sights.

Feeling Adventurous? Visit Crazy Horse – the Burlesque club which inspired Beyoncé’s music video for ‘Partition’…

[pagebreak]

2) Venice: The city of Casanova, Venice’s own adventurer, writer and self-proclaimed Womanizer. Whilst generally overshadowed by Paris, Venice still provides the romance that Paris offers with an Italian twist.

Staying at: Canaletto Suites, Venice, Italy

Positioned just a few steps from Saint Mark’s Square and next to the beautiful Clock Tower, the suites look out onto the post card worthy shots of Venice. Offering a taste of 18th century Venetian style and opulence, with added extras such as your own private sauna and jaccuzi, you may not want to leave your room.

Traveling by: Gondola along the canals.

Venice has a nickname of The Floating city due to its unique features, the canals. The perfect way to travel! Prices per ride vary, but from this Her Campus Exeter author’s experience, it is not uncommon to cost between 80 to 100 Euros per person for a forty minute ride along the canals of Venice.

Things to do:

The start would have to be Saint Mark’s Square – a perfect photo opportunity.

Sip wine at Do Spade bar on Calle de Spade, near the Rialto Bridge, where Casanova met his lovers.

Visit Doges Palace, where Casanova was imprisioned.

For art fans, head to Gallerie dell’Accademia, to view masterpieces such as Carpaccio’s Miracle of the Cross at the Rialto and Veronese’s Christ in the House of Levi.

Try some of the city’s best gelato at Boutique del Gelato.

Shop at Ottico Fabbricatore for putting together a look of effortless Italian elegance and style.

[pagebreak]

3) Prague: known for its gothic and baroque, rococo and art nouveau inspired architecture, the setting, along with it’s large amount of attractions make this the ideal romantic destination for Her Campus readers.

Staying at: Kempinski Hotel Hybernska, Prague, Czech Republic

The Kempinski Hotel offers a wonderful combination of historical architecture and a contemporary interior. Immerse yourself in one of the hotel’s stunning guestrooms, relax on its private balcony, and admire the beautiful views and sounds of magical Prague. The romantic package in its Premier Suite costs 510 Euros per night– with its king sized bed and walk-in closet.

Travelling by: Vintage car ride.

The Romantic package, as stated above, offers a one hour sightseeing excursion in a vintage car with cocktails – not bad! Not bad at all …

Things to do:

Visit Prague Castle with its dramatic Gothic spires and defences visible from everywhere in the city, and the impressive St Vitus’s Cathedral..

Tell the time at The Astronomical Clock, which has been ticking and attracting visitors since 1490.

See if you can spot the gods and gargoyles looking back at you along Staré Mêsto.

The keen photographers amongst you will want to visit Prague House of Photography, the Leica Gallery, Galerie Fotografie Louvre, Václav Stratil or even Pavel Baňka.

Photo credits:www.icprague.comwww.hdwallpapers.in3dprintshow.com

Shannon is a first year law LLB student. When she is not buried in a mountain of law books, she spends her time indulging her keen passions for travel, films and blogging.