This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

No Rachel you weren’t supposed to put beef in the trifle!” 

This iconic 1970s trifle recipe is a perfect Christmas day pudding (although, I believe it is traditional to eat trifle on boxing day if you are a stickler for that sort of thing). It takes a little preparation on Christmas Eve but is super easy to make and always looks really impressive. 

Ingredients

• 1 x 300g Tin of Raspberries in Juice
  • 1 Packet of Raspberry Jelly Cubes 
  • 1/2 Ready-Made Raspberry Swiss Roll 
  • 1 x 400-500g Ready-Made Custard (or you could make your own if you prefer)
  • 600ml Double Cream
  • 1 Flake
  • Handful of Toasted Almonds

Method

1. Slice the Swiss roll into 2cm slices and arrange it in the base of a large bowl – how much you use will depend on how big the dish is.   
  2. Make the jelly according to the packet’s instruction but instead of adding cold water drain the juice from the raspberries into the jelly liquid.  
  3. Empty the tin of raspberries on top of the Swiss roll and then pour the liquid jelly on top of this to soak into the sponge below.
  4. Leave in the fridge to set overnight.
  5. Pour a thick layer of custard over the base. 
  6. Whip the cream until thickened and carefully arrange this in another layer; I normally pipe it or use a rubber spatula. 
  7.  Crumble the flake over the top and sprinkle over the toasted almonds. 
  8.  Put the trifle back into the fridge until it is time to serve! 

Ellie Lewis

Exeter '23

A final year English student at the University of Exeter with an interest in writing about food, the natural world, sustainable fashion and things other young women can relate to! :)