This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Risotto, I find, is one of the best ways to beat the winter blues! It’s warming, filling, and full of subtle flavours. This particular dish is a variation on Joanna Weinberg’s recipe from Cooking for Real Life, and is light, healthy, and flavoursome. It invokes memories of summer and lazy sunny days. So it’s the perfect thing to lift your spirits after a long day slaving away over approaching deadlines.

Risotto is considered by many to be a ‘tricky’ dish to make. But by putting all the ingredients in one pan and stirring continuously, it is actually pretty easy.

Its ability to expand amazingly also means that you could probably feed the 5,000 with it and still have some left over! But if we’re thinking more modestly, it will feed you for about another three to four times. So if you divide it into portions and freeze it (just to be on the safe side), you can have dinner sorted instantly. And that’s so handy – especially when you don’t feel like cooking!

Ingredients:  (Feeds 4)

• 3 medium or 5 small courgettes
  • 40g butter
  • 1-2 garlic pieces, finely chopped (optional)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 red onions (or white), finely chopped
  • 250g risotto rice
  • 900ml hot chicken stock
  • 100g pancetta, diced (optional)
  • 5-6 mushrooms, diced (optional)
  • 1 small glass of white wine
  • 150g goats’ cheese, crumbled; or a good handful of grated parmesan (both optional)
  • Salt and pepper

Method: (total preparation time: 35-40 minutes)

1. Grate the courgettes. Spread out into a sieve, sprinkle some salt over and leave to drain for 20 minutes (if you’re willing to wait that long). Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
  2. Chop onions, mushrooms, pancetta, garlic etc., or any other vegetables, e.g. leeks that you wish to add.
  3. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pan, add the pancetta and garlic. Fry for 1-2 minutes, then add the onions. Fry the onions until they are translucent for about 5 minutes over a medium heat. Add the grated courgettes and stir until they are coated in oil. Add the rice and stir until it is coated.
  4. Add the stock, bit by bit, as the rice absorbs it, stirring all the while. Tasting occasionally. Seasoning as desired. It should take 15-20 minutes until completely cooked  – the rice should be soft but still retain a little bite, and have a creamy, dropping consistency.
  5. When the rice is nearly tender, add the wine, and let the alcohol burn off.
  6. When it’s ready, stir in the cheese, if you’ve decided to add it. Drizzle with a bit more oil. Then serve.

Bon appétit!