My Top Tips Before, During And After Having The Contraceptive Coil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Before

Last year, I was trying to branch out from some of the more ‘standard’ forms of contraception. I was fed up with the daily stress of remembering to take the pill. I talked to a nurse in the NHS Walk-In Clinic on Sidwell St. (strongly recommend a visit there, it’s free and very helpful) and she went through the two types of coil with me: IUD (intrauterine device which uses copper to create a hostile environment for sperm to live in and over 99% effective for 5-10 years depending on the type of IUD you get) or IUS (intrauterine system which releases a type of progesterone hormone for 3-5 years and is also over 99% effective).  I went for the IUS, also called the hormonal coil, because it often helps to lessen or stop periods, whereas the copper in IUDs tend to make periods worse (although, of course, every woman is different so everyone will react differently.)

During

I booked myself in for the IUS fitting a few weeks after my first visit to the Walk-In Clinic. I used the upcoming weeks to do some all-important research, both online and talking to friends about their experiences. Although some horror stories emerged about the pain of the fitting and subsequent cramps, plus the fear that their partner would be able to feel the string attached to the small coil (the string is there so it can be removed easily by the doctor), the promise of pregnancy-free sex for 5 years and minimal/ no periods was enough to convince me to carry on regardless.  

The actual fitting of it was fairly painful but very quick- similar to a very strong but brief period cramp that barely lasted 10 minutes. I had a lovely nurse and doctor holding my hand throughout and chatting to them while getting the IUS put in was a slightly surreal but helpful experience to distract me.

I walked back home and settled down for a night full of hot water bottles, chocolate and the top guilty-pleasure films to counteract the cramps that followed. I’d learnt from the research to expect some pain in the next few weeks to months, similar to a heavy period. Even though I had my fingers firmly crossed that I’d be one of the lucky ones to avoid it, I was prepared when the cramps came and the mental preparation definitely helped me in tackling them. I reasoned that a few months of cramps would pale in significance compared to the years of cramp-free, low maintenance contraception. If you get the IUS fitted in the first seven days of starting a period, as I did, it becomes effective contraception immediately. What I was not informed of in my doctor appointments, however, was that using tampons or having sex was not recommended in the first week of the coil being fitted because your body is still adjusting. Sadly, I did both. The result was a dislodged coil and a very panicked time of me calling the doctors the second they opened to get it removed.

After

I got it taken out just as easily as it was put in and found it was actually less painful removing it. I was partially relieved it was out because I did find the cramps from both the coil and my period together quite painful BUT I am slightly annoyed that I didn’t get it replaced a few weeks later because the pros of the coil, for me, seem to outweigh the cons, if you and your partner are STD free and aren’t sleeping with anyone else (the coil doesn’t protect against STDs and can cause complications with any pre-existing ones).

Ultimately, I would recommend the coil for people looking for a low maintenance form of contraception if you are mentally and physically prepared for some hormonal changes and pain as your body adjusts to it. I’d recommend being wary of potential pain both in the insertion of it and the following months. Some men can find the strings attached  to the coil uncomfortable during sex, particularly if the coil was recently inserted, but these can be cut shorter by your GP and soften over time- plus contraception is a decision that only you can make for your body so it’s a personal choice of whether this would weigh into your decision-making process.

If you’re still looking for any more information (and it’s always a good idea to do lots of research before committing to any form of contraception), have a look at the NHS website:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/ius-intrauterine-system.aspx

I'm a third year (I know, I'm ancient) studying English. I've got a strong love for feminism, puns and my amazing dog, Ronnie.