This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As autumn fast approaches, we are experiencing our fair share of rainy days here in Exeter. If you find yourself stuck at home with nothing to do, here are eight activities to make the most of a cold, wet day.  

1. Curl up with a mug of tea and a good book

If you’re looking for something new to read, Beth O’Leary’s debut novel, The Flatshare is a quirky romantic comedy, and is as heart-warming as it is funny. Pick up a copy here.

2. Bake something

As well as being an easy and relaxing way to pass the time, baking is a great way to reduce stress, all while making something delicious that you can enjoy yourself or give to friends and family. If you’re looking for inspiration, try Stacey Stewart’s much-loved brownie recipe.

3. Try your hand at a Pinterest project

Pinterest has a great variety of art, craft, and DIY projects to choose from, most of which you can make at home with very few materials. These cute DIY candle holders are bound to leave your home feeling extra cosy.   

4. Go out for dinner

Make the most of student discount while you can and head out to a restaurant for the evening with friends. Places such as Las Iguanas offer an amazing 25% off food and drink for students. Find out more about student discounts in Exeter here.   

5. Stop procrastinating! 

Rainy days are the perfect opportunity to send those emails, read that book, or make that appointment. 

6. Watch a film

Grab your duvet and curl up on the sofa or head out to your nearest cinema and take advantage of the comfy seats and endless snacks. 

7. Write something 

Grab a notebook and pen and write whatever comes into your head. If you want to get even more creative, start a gratitude or bullet journal. For some inspiration, take a look at this a step-by-step guide to bullet journaling.

8. Plan your week

Take the time to make sure you’ve planned out all your activities for the week to avoid any last-minute panicking or double-booking. Download this template to make planning ahead even easier.  

Even on the rainiest of days, joy can be found in the smallest things. 

Lover of books & large mugs of tea.